Transfer Groups Bleeding Into Other Objects [SOLVED]

2199   6   1
78 posts
I have 4 primitive spheres sitting in a line, close enough to touch each other. Each sphere has a group name.

I'm doing some voronoi cut operations on a per object basis, then turning those cuts into curves.

I lose my group names somewhere in the process, so need to transfer them back from the original spheres, onto the newly created curves.

The trouble happens when I use a Transfer Groups SOP - The groups that get transferred bleed across onto the surrounding primitives, because they are so close / touching each other.

I kind of expected this to happen, as the transfer groups sop is using a distance to transfer from / to.

How can I transfer the groups from the original spheres, back onto the curves without the groups bleeding into each other?

Test scene attached.
Edited by GlennimusPrime - July 27, 2020 05:44:45

Attachments:
Transfer_Group_Problem.hip (227.0 KB)

Staff
637 posts
Hard to solve in general, when you have a single piece of with parts that are close to one another.

But you have separate pieces, and you're already doing a for-each loop - why not do the transfer in there as well?

Attachments:
Transfer_In_Loop.hip (229.0 KB)

Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
78 posts
Hi KaiStavginski, thanks for this it works well.

I shouldn't have used the for each loop in the example sorry! I was trying to make a simplified version of my master scene, but didn't realise using a for each loop would solve that particular issue!

For my master scene I am doing the same thing, but I am unable to do that with a for each loop.

Without the for each loop, I had the thought of maybe using the explode sop to spread the parts away from each other, then transfer groups, then somehow undo the explode, or transform the pieces back to their original position?
Although with that technique, I wasn't able to work out how to explode the cut pieces together as whole balls, rather each curve would spread apart individually.

Any ideas?

Attachments:
Transfer_Group_Problem_Without_ForEach.hip (219.4 KB)

555 posts
easy…just promo after fracture, don't even need transfer.

Attachments:
groups.jpg (239.9 KB)
Transfer_Group_Problem_Without_ForEach_Fix.hiplc (216.2 KB)

555 posts
arrggg…on close inspection…it missed a few points…not sure why

even closer inspection…it didn't miss but rather it snagged a few ‘extra’ points along the way.
Edited by vusta - July 27, 2020 00:14:44
555 posts
aha…gotcha..you can't beat me!!! Here I've moved groups 2/4 up to prove no points were missed and no extra points were snagged.

Note:
- Clean must have consolidate disabled.
- Ends, unroll with shared points, not New.
- i left the promo to points but you can change it to edges, will still work as long as you also change the test transform to edges.
Edited by vusta - July 27, 2020 00:24:56

Attachments:
groups2.jpg (184.7 KB)
Transfer_Group_Problem_Without_ForEach_Fix2.hiplc (215.9 KB)

78 posts
Vusta you legend! This is going to save me a lot of time, thank you so much!

A simple thing, but I have also just learnt that groups can be promoted between each other, so overall a good learning exercise for me today.

Thanks for your help!

- Glenn
  • Quick Links