How to stop the renderer?

5878   5   0
40 posts
Hi,

I am using Arnold for Houdini 18.5.408. I am looking for a simple way to stop the renderer. I do not want it to continuously update all the time. I only see "Restart" and "Resume" render. I need a "Stop" :-)

I have tried switching from Arnold to Houdini GL, but my CPU keeps rendering the image. If I switch back to Arnold I can see it has continued (via the percentage) even though I switched to the Houdini GL.

Is there a renderview a bit like Katanas "Monitor" or Maya's "Render View" where I can start/stop the renderer myself?

Thanks in advance,
Klaus
7794 posts
kskovbo
I am using Arnold for Houdini 18.5.408. I am looking for a simple way to stop the renderer. I do not want it to continuously update all the time. I only see "Restart" and "Resume" render. I need a "Stop" :-)

There is none. Switching to GL is supposed to suspend the previous delegate. Perhaps this is a bug with the Arnold delegate.

kskovbo
Is there a renderview a bit like Katanas "Monitor" or Maya's "Render View" where I can start/stop the renderer myself?

No, the render is the scene viewer in the Hydra viewport. It can be paused, restarted, or swapped out for another, but not stopped.
Staff
4441 posts
Just to clarify a little bit, we actually drive both the Houdini GL and one other render delegate off the same USD scene. When you are looking at Houdini GL, the other render delegate will be "paused", but supporting the Pause API is optional in the render delegate specification, and I know some renderers have more trouble supporting this feature than others. The reason we keep both delegates active (even when you switch to Houdini GL) is to avoid the (often extremely large) cost of spinning up a render from scratch every time you switch to the non-HoudiniGL delegate. With the way we do things now, when you switch from Karma to Houdini GL, make some changes, then go back to Karma, Karma just has to do an incremental update of the changes that were made while in Houdini GL mode.

An argument could be made for providing a "force stop" button or mode for renderers that don't support pausing (or if you just want to free up all the renderer's memory). But we don't currently provide that control.
40 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I think it must be a missing feature on Arnold renderers part, because I see in the video below that there should be a pause button. Currently all I see is "Resume Render" and "Restart Render"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koxQliAk1qo [www.youtube.com]

Is there any plans for a dedicated renderview a bit like Katanas Monitor view? I searched around a bit and saw this year old thread which I agree with what alexsomma wrote 100%.
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/70646/?page=1#post-328935 [www.sidefx.com]

I think it is essential as he mentions to be able to render final images to a renderview, being able to see render 1:1 pixel and render region.

Thanks
Staff
4441 posts
Yes, the plan is to extend the render gallery with this functionality. No dates to share yet though.
40 posts
Thanks for the response much appreciated! I will look forward to the updates of Solaris!
  • Quick Links