64bit Houdini for Windows users?

10331   12   4
696 posts
Hi, just wondering how come there's no Houdini for Windows x64. I noticed there's a Linux one, but no Windows yet…

I'm just curious because I can't seem to find a way to let Houdini utilize the strength of my computer… I have a quad processor with 6 gigs of ram.

Seems Houdini is only using one of the processors, and if it tries to use more than a single gig of ram, it crashes with a memory allocation error.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
2199 posts
Dual boot with Linux….?
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
696 posts
I've never used Linux before, and I'm in the middle of a project where I'm utilizing Maya and the various adobe products. I don't really know anything about dual booting… how will that affect my workflow?

I can't imagine it being that much of an extra load to take what's unique to the linux 64 bit build, and add it to the windows build to get a 64bit windows build.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
4140 posts
Don't dual boot - it's *not* the answer to your problem. You don't introduce a new OS into the mix casually, least of all when you're on deadline!

I'm not sure about the state of win64 Houdini - but unfortunately in the end you'll just need to wait for SESI to release a build for that platform. At least you've got the 32 bit one for now.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
696 posts
No one from SESI can comment on the progress of a x64 build?
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
4261 posts
Side Effects currently builds Houdini with Visual Studio .NET 2003. For true 64-bit support they would need to upgrade to Visual Studio .NET 2005 which generally requires a bit of work for a project the size of Houdini. Not to mention upgrading to Visual Studio .NET 2005 would also require us (users) to upgrade from 2003 for HDK support.

In other words, don't count on it for Houdini 8.x. Although Houdini 9 may have support it.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
194 posts
For memory-related crashes you might want to inspect the Cache Manager (Windows > Cache Manager).

Allegro
Seems Houdini is only using one of the processors, and if it tries to use more than a single gig of ram, it crashes with a memory allocation error.
2199 posts
Do you think this will require code changes too, or just a new compiler?
I'd hate to have to go back and re-code stuff.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
696 posts
I don't really care if it's “true” 64 bit support. Photoshop isn't “true” 64 bit support, but at least it can deal with my 6gb of ram, and my 4 processors.

I checked the cache like you said, but it doesn't seem to allow me to change the numbers for some reason. I tried changing the 1024 to 2048…. but now it's stuck at “1”

It's disappointing to have hardware, that the software isn't utilizing.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
4261 posts
Allegro
my 4 processors.

Mantra should be able to use all 4 processors with the -n option. COPs should be able to use 4 processors too. Most of Houdini will only use one processor since only certain areas are multi-threaded.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
3 posts
I'm hoping for a 64-bit version with a non-linux OS in the relatively near future.

It's getting to the point where you can put together a relatively cheap 4 core workstation with 4-8GB of ram. The hardware is definately starting to outpace software support for it, especially on a 32-bit OS.

As Microsoft shoves vista down the throat of the windows userbase, I'm guessing we'll start seeing 64bit versions of many mainstream graphics applications, as well as x86 Mac with the next OSX release.

It is a damn pain in the ass to be dual booting and swaping workstations in a large production environment. You can't get mudbox for linux, this other application doesn't have 64 bit support, and this other application has 64 bit support but only under linux.

Of course when I bring this up I always get the response that I could install linux and run all the Windows stuff using virtual machines :roll: After seeing the performance of photoshop under VMware.. no thanks.

In the meantime I guess you can run 32bit Houdini on XP64 using WoW, which in theory will give you up to 4GB memory space per 32bit thread. In theory. I'm not sure if windows 2GB/3GB limitations still apply with WoW layer in xp64.

Kurt Williams
Rhythm + Hues
50 posts
which in theory will give you up to 4GB memory space per 32bit thread

I am on win64 and this is not entirely true, although I am a bit suspicious, because there are 3 people working on win64, 2 of whom are using DOPs almost entirely, the third is almost entirely POPs and only the 2(me being one) using DOPs are experiencing a signifiganct number of memory crashes, even at 1.2 gigs, although I have seen a single process continue to run beyond 2.4 gigs… makes me wonder what's going on under the hood, is this a houdini 32/win64 thing just a windows64, just houdini as it pertains to win64 or is it DOPs. (or god forbid, could it be the hardware configuration)….maybe one day ill find out and let you know, or maybe Houdini9 will have 64bit support.(that would be very nice….hint hint, nudge nudge) It's hard to keep selling the value of a product to the money people when it isn't keeping up.. (I have maya64 and works like a charm)
“Don't just look for what you think you will find”

-That CSI guy
153 posts
I just purchased a 64bit HP 9400 for Real Flow 4, so the comment about things starting to catch up is true. I would LOVE to see SESI offer a true 64bit Windows XP version and I think a lot of people would jump at purchasing 64 bit machines if SESI had the version available.
  • Quick Links