Licensing error for Houdini Engine in Unreal

3498   7   1
2 posts
Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help me with the error in the attached image. I see it when I attempt to instantiate a digital asset generated by Houdini in Unreal. I'm afraid I have no idea what it means or how to fix it. In my Houdini license administrator, there appear to be valid entries for both Houdini Indie and Houdini Engine for Unity/Unreal.

Attachments:
image.png (72.2 KB)

44 posts
michaelkdaw
Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help me with the error in the attached image. I see it when I attempt to instantiate a digital asset generated by Houdini in Unreal. I'm afraid I have no idea what it means or how to fix it. In my Houdini license administrator, there appear to be valid entries for both Houdini Indie and Houdini Engine for Unity/Unreal.

You need to download plugin source files, and add flags in there to open session sync with Indie mode specifically.

But its not advice to mix indie/commercial in same pipeline, do not do it
2 posts
assignators
You need to download plugin source files, and add flags in there to open session sync with Indie mode specifically.

But its not advice to mix indie/commercial in same pipeline, do not do it

I'm running into the same issue with using an indie license with Houdini engine for UE4.
Can you provide more specific instructions on how to start session sync with Indie mode?
Does that involve recompiling the plugin or UE4? Or is it configurational
Thank you
2 posts
Removing the "Houdini Engine with UE4" license from the license administrator and restarting everything resolved the issue for me.
Before the Houdini engine UE4 plugin loaded a "Houdini Engine" license (which is of the commercial scope). I think that's from a previous installation or something that makes the plugin confused.
You want the plugin setting in UE4 to recognize a "Houdini Engine Indie" license if your asset is of the limited commercial scope
1 posts
I have the same issue. I tried downloading plugin source files, and adding flags to open session sync with Indie mode specifically. It works.
run 3 [run3donline.com]
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

This seem to be a common issue with the new free license, as Indie users are trying to use the new free commercial license instead of the free Houdini Engine Indie license.

DO NOT mix Houdini Indie license with the (Commercial) free Houdini Engine for Unreal / Unity license.

If you have a commercial Houdini License, and HDA files, then the free Houdini Engine for Unreal license is what you need.
If you're using Houdini Indie and HDA/HDALC files, then a Houdini Engine Indie license is needed (it is free as well).

If you mix both, then bad things like mentioned above will happen...

The best solution would be to remove the free commercial Houdini Engine license, and get a Houdini Engine Indie one instead.
(feel free to contact support if you need help for doing that)
Staff
1182 posts
Actually if you have Houdini Indie on a computer then that should run the plug-in without Houdini Engine Indie. Houdini Engine Indie is meant for OTHER computers that don't have Indie.

Similarly Houdini FX and CORE can run plug-ins without Houdini Engine for UE4. That license is meant for people that are not running interactive licenses.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
2 posts
I wasn't able to remove the commercial license using the license administrator. I don't remember the error it gave me. Instead, I re-installed houdini and the engine plugin after re-installing windows for other reasons. I lucked out and somehow don't have the commercial license installed this time (I don't think I did anything differently). It seems to be working.

I don't think it needs to be this complicated.
  • Quick Links