polysplit SOP weirdness

9466   18   1
2624 posts
The polysplit SOP , with snap to perpendicular , cuts round a default tube SOP correctly , if you try the same again after tapering one end using a edit SOP , it will not cut a perpendicular line that will meet up as you cut round the tube.
does anyone else get this ? and is there a reason why ?

R
Gone fishing
7750 posts
Are you using the shortest distance or quad method? If you're using shortest distance, I think it might choose a different path because the shortest distance path is now different?
2624 posts
Using either quad or shortest distance I get the same error , the nearer the tapered end the more extreme the effect.

R
Gone fishing
4262 posts
Just for yucks can you delete everything but a few of the primitives around the problem area and then post the bgeo?
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
7750 posts
Ah, I see your problem now (after trying it ). I think it's doing the right thing. When you do perpendicular snapping, it's snapping it such that the line segment from the last clicked point to the new point is perpendicular to the new edge that you just touched. So it will spiral inwards if every new edge is at an angle. You could even try following the rule yourself on paper with a bunch of line segments emanating from a centre point.
7750 posts
BTW, there's no need to use the Edit SOP as you can just decrease the first (or second) Radius parameter on the Tube SOP.
2624 posts
Glad you see it edward but then this begs the question how on earth can I slice up polygon model up with tapered areas ?. The model has already been made I just want to add detail. Seeing as there is no other tool for cutting up polys , ie no Knife tool , split edge ring tool. I used the tube as a simple example.

R
Gone fishing
7750 posts
Have you tried the Clip SOP? Turn on the options to keep both halves.
Edited by - March 1, 2007 18:27:23
2624 posts
Edward …. there you do it again ( pull something out of the bag ) never even knew that SOP existed. Mind you I was looking at the tools with “Poly” in the title ….. I shall give it a try

R
Gone fishing
7750 posts
Argh, sorry, I didn't meant to say Carve SOP, I meant Clip SOP. I've corrected the original post.
2199 posts
Also have you tried turning on the override bias option on the polysplit tool.
To create a new loop right round the tube all you need is to click once on one edge, turn on close and override the bias to slide the loop up and down the edges.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
1145 posts
edward
Argh, sorry, I didn't meant to say Carve SOP, I meant Clip SOP. I've corrected the original post.

Would it be possible to add an option in the Clip sop to do multiple clips?
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
2199 posts
A multiple parameter sop do you mean? Sounds like a good idea.
2624 posts
Simon …. Sorry but I cannot get your idea to work for the polysplit SOP correctly. I create the loop , and check close for the last edge for the loop. It then snaps to the centre with the bias overide , when I begin to slide the loop , 2 points move in the opposite direction. Every time I create a loop the points that go in the opposite direction are different.

If anything I have found is that is far quicker and easier to model in another 3d package.I am no great user of Maya for modelling but it took me 2hrs from scratch to turn round what I wanted and Ive not really modelled anything major before in Maya. If side effects want to shift more seats of Houdini the modelling work flow and tools need to improve.
Gone fishing
2199 posts
Sorry I missed out you need quad strips on too.

Attachments:
polysplit.hipnc (24.5 KB)

2624 posts
Thankyou so much for the time you have taken to post a file up simon.

R
Gone fishing
2199 posts
Actually there is a bug in the latest version, you shouldn't be seeing the two points moving the wrong way. That is a new “feature” I'll report it to Sesi as it will effect me too.
2624 posts
well at least we have found a bug and in the end I have completed the model ! now to break it in Houdini !!
Gone fishing
2199 posts
Actually I think that bug has always been there, I guess I very rarely use override bias without quad strips and I'd not noticed it before. I have a feeling that Sesi will say it isn't actually a bug, its just following the orientation of the edges that are split, but it really needs addressing if that function is to be of any use other than in very basic cases.
  • Quick Links