Purchased Indie, and now UE4 does not allow me to use .HDALC

4271   4   1
9 posts
As the title says, just purchased the indie license recently hoping to use my own tools inside UE4. But UE4 gives me this error whenever I try to load a .hdalc in the editor

Houdini License issue - (Cornice_Sweeper_2) : (Finished Instantiation with Errors: HAPI Error: Limited commercial (Indie) assets not allowed with commercial licenses.)

It seems UE4 is using a commercial license and does not pick up the indie license, I've tried to remove licenses from the license administrator but no success on it. Tried reinstalling Houdini and no success. The only thing that seems to be working is uusing 'Houdini Session Sync' but I don't think this is the way to go. I believe UE4 is not using Houdini Engine Indie.
Staff
175 posts
Hi CGToast,

Are you by chance using Houdini Engine For Unreal/Unity along with Houdini Engine? There is a known bug when both of these license types are installed. We are currently working on a fix for this issue.

Cheers,
Matt Warner
Software Developer - Licensing
SideFX
1 posts
I had the same problem and just fixed it. For me it was using the "Houdini Engine for Unity/Unreal" instead of the "Houdini Engine Indie" license.
I checked my licenses on the website: https://www.sidefx.com/services/licenses/ [www.sidefx.com] and saw that this was the case.
I ran License Administrator on my machine and went to File/ Install Licenses...
Then I set the quantity for "Houdini Engine Indie" to 1 and hit install.
I don't know if it will make a difference but I then returned the "Houdini Engine for Unity/Unreal" license because I don't need it and I was worried about a compatibility issue between the two licenses for houdini engine being active. This is the problem mattw mentioned.
I restarted Unreal and it seems to have been fixed.
2 posts
Hi I have the same issue.

Houdini License issue - (A1_2) : (Finished Instantiation with Errors: HAPI Error: Limited commercial (Indie) assets not allowed with commercial licenses.).

I purchased Houdini Indie Licence, Installed all the licences.
Plugin Works for all but HDALC assets.
I still have Houdini Engine for Unreal/Unity installed.

Do I have to return any licence?

Attachments:
licence.JPG (106.4 KB)

Staff
1182 posts
If you have indie you can run the Houdini Engine with those assets with the Houdini Indie license. You need to remove the Houdini Engine for Unity/Unreal because that is for commercial pipelines.

If you want to set up a second computer to use your digital assets, you can use the FREE Houdini Engine Indie to handle .hiplc files.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
  • Quick Links