Export USD with multiple Materials per piece

2051   5   0
36 posts
I am currently trying to export USD with basic shader assignments. This kind of works it fails when it comes to multiple materials per piece like illustrated in the image below.

One workaround could be to split up the mesh but I want to avoid that because will be dealing with a lot of instanced geometries later on...

I found these two links regarding this issue, but none of them helped to get to the correct result...

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/71209/ [www.sidefx.com]
https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php? [www.tokeru.com]

Thanks
Felix
Edited by Fele - Oct. 14, 2021 13:27:16

Attachments:
usd_issue.jpg (1.3 MB)
usd.hiplc (382.9 KB)

7814 posts
Works for me when using sopcreate to import from sops. Make sure to hit the autofill materials button.

Attachments:
geom_subset_example.hip (327.3 KB)

7814 posts
I looked at your scene and 'partition attributes' was disabled, bypassing geomsubset creation. This is required for per-face material assignments.
36 posts
jsmack
I looked at your scene and 'partition attributes' was disabled, bypassing geomsubset creation. This is required for per-face material assignments.

Thanks a lot jsmack!

At first it looked like the materials got lost while importing the USD into 3dsmax but it is caused by the 3dsmax usd importer, blender works just fine...

Do you maybe also know how to do this with packed & instanced geometry?
36 posts
Ok it turns out I was on the wrong track doing the all packing/instancing in SOPs. The better way seems to be doing this in the stage network...
Edited by Fele - Oct. 15, 2021 07:38:57
7814 posts
Fele
Do you maybe also know how to do this with packed & instanced geometry?

I suspect it will also work, but I haven't tried per-prim material assignments on packed primitives brought into Solaris.
  • Quick Links