Houdini 19 Visualize SOP

8563   11   4
192 posts
Hi folks,

Playing around with HOU19.
What's up with the Visualize SOP tho?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 09.27.39.png (99.7 KB)

133 posts
Watch this at about 3:56 - the implimentation has changed a little
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek2z7qWO3E8 [www.youtube.com]
Love Houdini
Staff
6219 posts
OdFotan
What's up with the Visualize SOP tho?

It's become more focused on setting up the various magic attributes to control visualization, rather than being a node to add visualizers.

Gear icon on the Top Right, Add Visualizer, Add Color Visualizer. This will get you the node-level visualizer it had by default before.

For the visualization to pass down-stream from the SOP you can click the "Update Visualizers" toggle. This will bake the visualizer into an attribute so any node down-stream will also visualize, useful if you are exporting this as another View Output from an HDA.

The actual code has stayed the same, it is the defaults we've changed.
76 posts
sry to step in, I didn't think it's important enough to open a new thraed
how do I get back the "display vertex marker" toggle icon on the right side bar? I'm sure it;s also found somewhere in the display options but can't find it as I never needed to since it was right there. thanks!
3 posts
Hello sideFX,

I teach Houdini for math, procedural modeling, simulations and I'm very sorry to see that extra steps are now needed to visualize vectors, as we used them constantly when explaining and visualizing vectors. I, my colleagues and my 600+ students would very much appreciate it if sideFX adds the visualizer tab again (with displaying a vector as the default!)

Houdini is already hard to learn for students, adding these extra clicks for visualizing vectors will not only slow down the learning process, but will also give them the feeling that Houdini is deliberately made to be difficult. This minor modification has also resulted in the fact that all our video course material is now deprecated.
7794 posts
r-a-n-d-o-m
Hello sideFX,

I teach Houdini for math, procedural modeling, simulations and I'm very sorry to see that extra steps are now needed to visualize vectors, as we used them constantly when explaining and visualizing vectors. I, my colleagues and my 600+ students would very much appreciate it if sideFX adds the visualizer tab again (with displaying a vector as the default!)

Houdini is already hard to learn for students, adding these extra clicks for visualizing vectors will not only slow down the learning process, but will also give them the feeling that Houdini is deliberately made to be difficult. This minor modification has also resulted in the fact that all our video course material is now deprecated.

The quick way to visualize vectors is to click on the attribute name in the info window. If the attribute is a vector type, then it will automatically visualize as vector markers.
3 posts
my god, forgot all about that update! I tend to always middle mouse button click on the nodes and never use the info button. Thanks for the tip!
1529 posts
I feel like houdini could stand to create a visualizer if your release the MMB while hovering over the attribute as well.
The upside? you don't have to open(and close) the floating info panel.

Downside? possibly creating a few visualizer you didn't intend.

G
1 posts
Hatchery
Watch this at about 3:56 - the implimentation has changed a little
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek2z7qWO3E8 [www.youtube.com]
Thank you man, I would have broken my head, you are the one who saved me from a brain hemorrhage.
333 posts
The easiest way is to click the visualiser icon on the parameter itself.

Attachments:
unknown.png (34.7 KB)

192 posts
jlait
Gear icon on the Top Right, Add Visualizer, Add Color Visualizer. This will get you the node-level visualizer it had by default before.

I see.
One little comment:

One thing I see happening tho is that the Visualiser kindof gets added the the 'normal' visualisers 'from' that node. (See image)

Even if I bypass that node or do not have the display flag on it, it stays visible. Which was kindof an advantage of having the visualiser located in the node, that you didn't see it when bypassed or when the display flag was not set on that visualiser, if I am honest with you.

I don’t see the point of having that node if it’s going to be global anyway.
Edited by OdFotan - Nov. 26, 2021 00:20:05

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 17.38.44.png (190.0 KB)

447 posts
OdFotan
I don’t see the point of having that node if it’s going to be global anyway.

Bypassing it prevent it from passing ("updating") the visualizers on it to the downstream nodes. If you select the Visualize node itself then yes it'll be visible. But it's not "always global".
Edited by raincole - Dec. 2, 2021 18:47:43
  • Quick Links