New Curve SOP - Spline Interpolation?

1208   2   0
339 posts
A couple of years ago I've posted some gifs demonstrating things I was developing to improve curve workflows in Houdini: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/61229/ [www.sidefx.com]

While the spirit of most of them is now in the new H19 Curve SOP, which is looking great, there's still one handy feature that I'm not sure if the new node includes or not. "Spline Interpolation", that is, control points that don't require constant readjustment of the handles when the main CP position is changed, to keep a reasonable smooth interpolation. In this image it's the orange dots:

The "Auto-Bezier Draw Mode" seems to be it when it comes to laying down new points, but once one uses the MMB do drag one of the control points or the "Edit Mode", the handles are static and so there's no longer "Auto" smooth interpolation between the point.

Is there a way to have similar behavior in with it and I'm missing it?

Thanks
Edited by probiner - Oct. 29, 2021 01:51:51
8594 posts
that definitely sounds handy

I'd at least expect selecting points and do Contract then Make Smooth (or if there was one button for recomputing auto tangents) operations to result in the same continuous smoothness level as Auto Bezier or the best possible smooth flow through the selected points considering the current tangents of the neighbours if they are not included in the selection
but it seems to just pull out tangents regardless of smooth continuity
Edited by tamte - Oct. 29, 2021 03:38:11
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
339 posts
tamte
that definitely sounds handy

I'd at least expect selecting points and do Contract then Make Smooth (or if there was one button for recomputing auto tangents) operations to result in the same continuous smoothness level as Auto Bezier or the best possible smooth flow through the selected points considering the current tangents of the neighbours if they are not included in the selection
but it seems to just pull out tangents regardless of smooth continuity

Yes, I was hoping that I could at least be able to force them to be recalculated as spline. And even if there wouldn't be any tension parameter, one could just convert them to manual handles and tweak them, but would be indeed nice to be able to move CPs around without concern for handles.
Edited by probiner - Oct. 29, 2021 13:49:29
  • Quick Links