export geometry

5059   5   0
5 posts
Hi,

Is there a way to export the geometry properly as Nurbs or Mesh to other packages?
I would like to generate geometry in Houdini and then export it to other software like Rhino or Maya. What is the best way of exporting the geometry from Houdini?

By right click and save Geometry I’ll get the geometry out but opening a .obj file in Rhino is a group of F..KD-up mesh!

Thanks
//
Staff
3455 posts
Rhino doesn't support polys…
try IGES

good luck
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
5 posts
Is the poly export from Houdini same as mesh?
In that case Rhino dose suport that. I can open it but it's not a nice geometry…

Thanks
//
345 posts
Nope, Mesh is a parametric surface very similar to Nurbs. So it is not a problem to convert them back and forth. Of course you can convert poly object to a mesh, but usually it is very painful (each face will be converted to a separate mesh). Try maybe Polytrans to make conversion ( if you are desperate) But didn't test how that works…

cheers
kuba
311 posts
If you want to export NURBS to maya open the u and v. then convert to mesh then to poly. save as .obj and load into Maya. Convert to NURBS and close u and v.

easy!
5 posts
If you want to export NURBS to maya open the u and v. then convert to mesh then to poly. save as .obj and load into Maya. Convert to NURBS and close u and v.

easy!

wow… nice!

Thanks for all tips. Actually having mesh as separate objects could help the process of my design. Is it possible for any of you giving me a short tutorial in the workflow?

Thanks
  • Quick Links