H19 with Linux Mint and XFCE desktop

1752   5   0
436 posts
Does anyone here run Houdini 19.X on Linux Mint with XFCE desktop on AMD Ryzen 9 CPU ? If so, how has Houdini performed?

Thank you
42 posts
Houdini running great on Ubuntu , Mint , Pop-OS , Debian and etc ...
Of course, keep in mind that pop mint elementry os kde neon and etc are based on ubuntu lts
not much difference which one you want to use , all of these is good and working smoothly

NOTE :
do not use latest linux mint ( 21 ) this version has a lot of issue with nvidia driver
for now i recommends to you do not use ubuntu lts 22.04 be cause 22.04 uses glibc library 2.35
houdini needs glibc below 2.34 , But it does not mean that you cannot use it , you can use and install houdini in any linux distros
my means is houdini will be crash sometimes and i tried before and very crazy for me !
for that , i'm back to previously of ubuntu lts , which is 20.04
in the general we need to wait sidefx team support officially ubuntu latest lts

if you like XFCE desktop , you can install xubuntu 20.04 lts is fast and good or install linux mint xfce 20

i hope i could help you ...

good luck
Edited by SMC7192 - Sept. 8, 2022 09:23:10
Staff
467 posts
The glibc version was fixed in 19.0.594 and is present in all gold versions of 19.5. If you are still encountering glibc issues in the newest builds please submit a bug report.
Edited by johnmather - Sept. 8, 2022 11:52:15
39 posts
19.5 runs fine on Mint 21/Cinnamon. If you use the Launcher to install you may have to manually install fonts or the Launcher interface may be blank.
436 posts
When it comes to linux, I am monkey. As in monkey see, monkey do. I see facility wide deployments with Debian and XFCE, KDE, or Gnome. Debian + XFCE was lightest overhead. But was told that Debian takes most Linux skills to install. Was told that Mint was most compatible and lightweight when paired with XFCE.
42 posts
Debian compared to distributions based on itself, such as Ubuntu
Requires more experience in Linux
if you are new to linux , i recommend you must be better use mint or pop-os , or ubuntu varients like Kubuntu , Xubuntu , Ubuntu Mate
In the general Debian is very good and stable , you can try it !

In Fact : XFCE is another lightweight linux desktop and it doesn't difference you use XFCE which distribution !

Good Luck Dave_ah
  • Quick Links