Questions about Primitive Kind / Draw Mode & inheritance

1242   3   3
39 posts
I've been working on formalizing scene graph template structures for our team recently and have run into some issues I don't understand about the intent of Primitive Kind draw modes & inheritance in Solaris.

Attached a simple stage here with a root prim set to assembly+ a few different primitive kinds below it: subcomponent, componentand group.

As expected, the subcomponentdoesn't give any Draw Mode options in the UI while the componentand groupmodels do. Setting the Draw Mode to Bounding Box only works on the componentthough. It was my understanding that if a groupprim had extents defined somewhere in the hierarchy it could display a bounding box, but maybe this is incorrect?

The second question comes when setting the parent assemblyDraw Mode -- in the UI it automatically toggles the descendant prim Draw Modes to match, but there is no effect in the viewport.

Is this a bug, or is there some other step required to set up Draw Mode inheritance?

Attachments:
pcoip_client_iQdygy7fyM.png (56.9 KB)
pcoip_client_Eq5gEbsV6l.png (363.1 KB)
pcoip_client_C1givgqhdU.png (353.4 KB)
drawmodes1.hip (120.3 KB)

75 posts
It seems that currently BBX draw only works for components, would love to hear any further news.
Staff
4168 posts
Draw Mode is a characteristic of "Model Kind". Subcomponent is not based on model kind, it is a separate kind, so it doesn't have its own draw mode.

See the Houdini glossary [www.sidefx.com] (which also links to the USD glossary) for more info.
I'm o.d.d.
39 posts
Thanks -- the subcomponent behavior seems to be just what the docs suggest. The other bits about groups (which look like they *are* a Model Kind) and inheritance are what I'm unclear about.
  • Quick Links