Karma MPlay cannot export EXR only PNG

2131   9   1
16 posts
Hi gang

Getting this error for the first time when trying to save a sequence rendered to MPlay as EXR from a Karma XPU render. PNG/TIFF/JPG is fine but with EXR I get this error:

“Cannot write file
Please check that the destination path exists and is not write-protected, and there is sufficient space on the drive”

Whether I create the folder with the Houdini save prompt window, or choose an existing folder this error comes up. There’s also 2TB of free space. Ive right clicked the folder and ticked off “Read Only”. Tried saving on a separate drive, on desktop, on other external drives to no avail.

Is there something wrong with saving EXR format from MPlay after using Karma (XPU)? Should I avoid Karma XPU for now?

I hope I won’t need to re-render this whole 18hr render again. Is there a check box I missed when rendering?
Edited by Drewzee - Dec. 31, 2022 17:29:39
2539 posts
Not sure why you're bothering with MPlay? MPlay consumes physical memory when open, so as it accumulates frames, your computer has less memory to render with. Just click Render to Disk instead of Render To MPlay. I kicked out a single test.exr frame using XPU and it showed up fine in photoshop.

TIFF is an acceptable substitute for EXR, if you end up stuck. PNG/JPG are only 8bit color AFAIK.
Edited by Enivob - Jan. 1, 2023 09:56:30
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
16 posts
Hi Enivob

Half of the render was already done and rendered in the way you describe without using MPlay. But the render failed mid way through. I decided to use MPlay instead to hopefully prevent whatever halted Karma from continuing to render, thinking it could export EXRs, but it seems that MPlay has either been broken and there's no plans to fix it, or failing to export EXRs will simply remain an undocumented limitation.

Someone with as many posts as you would have mentioned a solution by now or some work around if there were such a thing; to capture the EXR format from MPlay.

There is a tick box that I didn't see that will allow me to monitor the frames in MPlay as they render. I will use that whenever I decide to use XPU again, but I dont think that will be for a long time.
Edited by Drewzee - Nov. 16, 2023 12:19:20
7801 posts
Mplay saves EXR files fine for me, I use it all the time. Its the only format that I use to save from mplay is it doesnt have the capacity to apply OCIO color transforms needed when writing jpg or png.

this problem is either specific to your platform or particular configuration.
16 posts
Would it make a difference if Karma XPU was being rendered inside of a LOPnet instead of using the Stage context?
7801 posts
lamloops
Would it make a difference if Karma XPU was being rendered inside of a LOPnet instead of using the Stage context?

not as far as I know
7801 posts
Do you happen to have Omniverse installed?
710 posts
I get this error when I try to explicitly save to .exr from the format menu. If I use "Infer from file extension" instead it saves fine.

I do have Omniverse installed...
7801 posts
Siavash Tehrani
I get this error when I try to explicitly save to .exr from the format menu. If I use "Infer from file extension" instead it saves fine.

I do have Omniverse installed...

I had problems saving from Houdini with Omniverse installed. I had to remove it for Houdini to work at all.
81 posts
I am having the exact same error message as you had and I can't fix it. I don't have Omniverse installed
  • Quick Links