Karma Ocean Dicing

2333   6   1
26 posts
we are having trouble displacing the ocean until the horizon.

is there any other setting that could help fix this issue and is there a way to somehow visualize the dicing? like a utility shader or an AOV that could help troubleshoot?
we noticed the dicing flatness setting in the docs but it seems to be missing on the lop nodes, creating it manually did not seem to change the result.

we also tried the different dicing checkboxes on the oceansurface shader, which did not seem to change the result.

thanks.

Attachments:
dicing.jpg (633.7 KB)

8591 posts
Dicing may not be the best for close to pixel or subpixel detail

I wonder if Karma supports automatic Displacement to Bump and Bump to Roughness conversions based on the pixel coverage or some screen space metrics
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7801 posts
tamte
I wonder if Karma supports automatic Displacement to Bump and Bump to Roughness conversions based on the pixel coverage or some screen space metrics

Mantra has displacement to bump, but not bump to roughness; I don't think Karma has either one.
8591 posts
jsmack
Mantra has displacement to bump
but does Mantra use some screenspace metrics for that or only the True Displacement checkbox?
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7801 posts
tamte
jsmack
Mantra has displacement to bump
but does Mantra use some screenspace metrics for that or only the True Displacement checkbox?

I think it simply defers normal calculation to the surface shader.
Edited by jsmack - Jan. 14, 2023 15:49:25
26 posts
tamte

based on the tooltip on the oceansurface shader im guessing thats what the "Add Bump to Ray Traced Displacements" should do (unfortunately we have not used mantra).

If it turns out that its not possible in one render in Karma i would still be curious if there's a way to convert the Ocean Sample Layers output to a bump/normal input to check if the results of that could be blended successfully in comp.
Staff
429 posts
Hi. With the latest daily build (19.5.509 or newer), you can set environment variable KARMA_DICING_LEGACY to 0 to switch to newer dicing code that will help with visible discontinuity seen in the original post.
But no, karma currently does not support bump to roughness or displacement to bump (ala mantra).
  • Quick Links