Writing out /obj level transforms with USD Export SOP

1605   7   1
114 posts
Is there any way for USD Export SOP (or USD ROP) to pick up /obj level transforms? It doesn't seem to work out of the box. I'd like for the /obj level transforms to come over as Xform prims in USD.

Thanks!!!
7770 posts
I'm not familiar with the USD Export SOP, I think that is for backwards compatibility with older workflows. The Scene Import LOP node for Solaris can grab the scene from /obj and convert object level transforms and hierarchies into Xforms in USD. From there the USD ROP can be used.
114 posts
Yeah, the USD Export SOP just wraps around a LOP network containing a SOP Import and a USD ROP.

It is very nice and convenient to just drop one node at the end of a SOP chain! I'm surprised it's not possible to write those /obj level transforms given there are all those USD config options... but at least I can do it the long way.

Thanks for the answer!
7770 posts
nicholasralabate
It is very nice and convenient to just drop one node at the end of a SOP chain! I'm surprised it's not possible to write those /obj level transforms given there are all those USD config options... but at least I can do it the long way.

As none of the export tools at sop level take object level transforms into account, it would make sense for the USD export to do the same, as it's more of a replacement for those tools but with usd as the file format, than a proper scene exporter.
114 posts
I think ROP Geometry SOP does (optionally) take object level transforms into account, there is a drop down to transform into world space. I just RFE'd the same for USD Export SOP, but I agree with you it's a little different because in the USD case I'm not actually asking for transformed SOP points but rather an extra set of transforms that would sit above my prim.
7770 posts
nicholasralabate
I think ROP Geometry SOP does (optionally) take object level transforms into account, there is a drop down to transform into world space. I just RFE'd the same for USD Export SOP, but I agree with you it's a little different because in the USD case I'm not actually asking for transformed SOP points but rather an extra set of transforms that would sit above my prim.

I could see the case for that. I'm of the habit of never using object transforms except for cameras and lights. Too much margin for error.
8551 posts
I feel like there should be a complementary USD Export ROP
that would allow for exporting a scene (with Scene Import LOP inside instead fo SOP Import LOP as in USD Export SOP)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7770 posts
tamte
I feel like there should be a complementary USD Export ROP
that would allow for exporting a scene (with Scene Import LOP inside instead fo SOP Import LOP as in USD Export SOP)

Could you hack a Karma ROP into doing that?
  • Quick Links