unchecked "Apply Zoom to background" not sticking.

1697   5   2
408 posts
I'm having a very annoying problem with the Display preferences “apply zoom to background” not being saved as default but also just not sticking. I'm using a background image / sequence i need to align my geometries to, and whenever i touch the camera the background reference moves around and changes position. When i go back to the display preference and check / unchek the “apply zoom to background” settings the background image jumps back in place (fitting my camera framing…all good) but again if i move my camera around again the background jumps out of place again. it's super annoying because it only started to do that about an hour ago… didn't have the issue til then. Any idea how to fix this please?

EDIT: This only seems to happen with “orthographic” cameras.

Thanks in advance.

A.
Edited by Adriano - Aug. 5, 2020 21:48:15
408 posts
Couldn't fix this issue. It's kinda stupid. The setting “apply zoom to background” seems to reset everytime you touch the camera or whatever null it is parented to. it just can not stay unchecked.

Eventually i just created a grid with a quickshade to apply my animated background sequence reference to it, and linked that grid geo to my camera so it sticks to my framing at all times. Had to do some manual scaling to make it fit my geo perspective and size to properly align it all. But frankly, this is not ideal cause when i switched to wireframe mode of course my backplate applied to a geo obviously disappears. Sorry to be so whinny but This sucks.

Not good :$

Does anyone know in which preference file this setting is saved on the hard drive? i've look into everything i could find in the My Documents/Houdini 18 folder… but nothing.
Edited by Adriano - Aug. 5, 2020 22:22:59
7771 posts
This looks like a bug caused by parenting to a null with an orthographic view. The background should always be centered and full frame unless a 2D zoom/shift is on the camera, which is what that setting is supposed to control.
408 posts
jsmack
O

Did you manage to reproduce it per chance? My only way around was the trick i mentioned below, something i used to do in 3dsmax way back that allowed to always keep the backplate in place without too much hassle. And in max i knew how to force shaded (textured) geos even when toggling the overal wireframe viewport settings, which allowed me to have a clean backplate while seeing through oter objects.

Again, like i mentioned, it only happens with Orthographic camera and linked to a null. So i'm hoping you're right, cause that background image drifting (snapping around) really isn't practical at all.

Thanks for your reply.

A.
Edited by Adriano - Aug. 6, 2020 02:31:38
7771 posts
Adriano
Did you manage to reproduce it per chance?

Yes, It's not supposed to do that.

Adriano
And in max i knew how to force shaded (textured) geos even when toggling the overal wireframe viewport settings, which allowed me to have a clean backplate while seeing through oter objects.

This is also possible in Houdini. The ‘Visualize’ sop can override the rendering mode of specific objects. Set Wireframe to “force shaded” and lighting to “unlit” to get something resembling a backplate. You'll want to delete the default visualizer that it creates on the visualizers tab though. It defaults to something not useful here.
45 posts
Same here, but it also happens with a normal camera not linked to anything.
The "Apply Zoom to Background" resets every time I select or deselect the camera.

Very annoying.
  • Quick Links