Normal and Height-Bump map

2827   4   1
375 posts
Ho!! I download this texture pack : https://3dtextures.me/2022/03/09/concrete-019/ [3dtextures.me]
I want to create an MTLX material. I got a Collect node, an MTLX standard surface node, etc.
The texture pack has both a normal map and a height map (for bump).
Do I have to mix the 2 in order to get the right look?
Houdini gamboler
6 posts
I'd also like to know. Can't find info on how height maps should be applied to MtlX standard surface node.
CURRENT GEAR
Laptop: Alienware 51m (i9900K. 128 gb RAM. RTX 2060. 1 TB SSD)
Desktop: Custom-Build (i9900K. some Radeon card. 128 gb RAM. 1 TB SSD + 2 TB Glyph Drive)
Accessories: 3D Connexion SpaceMouse & CAD mouse | Wacom tablet | iPad | OnePlus 7 Pro

CURRENT SOFTWARE LEARNED
2D Asset: Photoshop | Illustrator | Affinity Design | Procreate | Animate | Toon Boom Harmony
3D Asset: Zbrush | Nomad Sculpt | Substance Painter & Designer | Mixamo | Rokoko
Animation & Rendering: Cinema 4D | Maya | Blender + plugins | Arnold | CyclesX + SheepIt | Eevee
Compositing & Video Production: After Effects + plugins | Nuke | Premiere Pro | Ableton

CURRENTLY LEARNING
Houdini | Fusion | Redshift | Octane | Vray | 3Delight | Renderman

Currently streaming my study sessions at Twitch.tv@Retopo001

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO
Audio read aloud by text-to-speech: articles by the Economist | Compiled Wikipedia branches |
Music: Bach - Complete Collection. NIN - Pretty Hate Machine. Aphex Twin.
Staff
43 posts
For the normals map, use a MtlX NormalMap node to convert to the normals format the Standard Surface expects. I think you might need to ensure that your Image is outputting a Vector3 instead of Color signature.

There is a MaterialX Height to Normal node that can convert a heightmap to normals, or you can use it as displacement. I'm not sure if you need the NormalMap node after Height to Normal or not. I guess give it a try and see which one looks correct.

If you have both types of map, the height is generally intended to be used for displacement. They can be combined into a single new normals image if you really want to go that route, but I don't remember the process.
375 posts
Thanks Bryan, will try these.
Houdini gamboler
375 posts
Hello it's me again,
I need a bit more help on this. I use both normal and displacement maps. With the displacement map, the render is goes beserk.
Check the attached pic. As you can see the armchair is much less comfortable in the lower pic.
What I tried (but didn't work) :
- Disconnect the normal map.
- In the mtlxdisplacement1 node, decrease the scale to very low values such as 0.1, 0.001, no change whatsoever.
- Use a MTLX Multiply node after the mtlxdisplacement1 and multiply with a very low value again.
- change some option in the MTLX tiled image.
HELP!!!
Thanks
Gz
Edited by Grendizer - June 18, 2023 05:37:41

Attachments:
Hou Karma Displacement issues exp.jpg (382.7 KB)

Houdini gamboler
  • Quick Links