Houdini 20

23746   66   5
636 posts
habernir
Do you mean that vulkan viewport won't be in Houdini 20? Or that is assumption

Vulkan should be in H20 was mentioned at the H19.5 event.
16 posts
sorry for being too lazy to research, but what is the big deal about vulkan and how would it improve my work? is it a potential new quick render engine like eevee? or is it just the UI?
Edited by rickapex - Sept. 15, 2023 03:49:51
64 posts
rickapex
sorry for being too lazy to research, but what is the big deal about vulkan and how would it improve my work? is it a potential new quick render engine like eevee? or is it just the UI?
In contrast to the outdated OpenGL, Vulkan is designed with modern multi-core processors in mind and offers a more flexible and efficient mechanism for task parallelization. This allows for better utilization of both CPU and GPU resources.
The new Vulkan viewport in Houdini 20 is primarily expected to accelerate the display of complex geometry. And as a side effect, which I'm very hopeful for, it might make the viewport more stable.
alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com
54 posts
ive read somewhere that Vulkan is used in Unreal Engine too. so i hope that it will be possible to use something like Nanite or fast fog with god rays like in UE 5.3 or great multilayer materials shown earlier.

But i wonder if it is part of Vulkan or its programmed by UE developers? And SideFX will have to do it from scrach.

Ah! UE 5.3 showed realtime rendering of animated VOXELS in VIEWPORT! great stuff!

is there any chance that in Houdini there will be viport that can do exactly what UE 5 can now? is it hard to implement? i also read that there is strateggic partnership betwean Epic and SideFX.

i know very little about process of dev and programming

will we have all UE 5.3 goodies in Houdini 20 viewport right now or it will take time to implement?
Edited by oldteapot7 - Sept. 15, 2023 07:07:41
331 posts
There have already been a fair few confirmations by SideFX themselves of a raft of little improvements everywhere. Seems like it's shaping up to be a pretty good release.

Hype's building, not going to lie. Just a couple more months...
54 posts
BTW. what are those compile blocks and WTF it is used for?
how many nodes were compiled already? best in percentage: 60% of nodes, more or less?
17 posts
In this video from a year ago, at the 10:26 mark, Kim Davidson mentions his interest in bringing more real-time capabilities to Houdini.

Edited by Carlos_Rivadulla - Sept. 15, 2023 11:07:12
  • Quick Links