HDA Python Bridge to Plasticity

953   4   0
636 posts
I have made a Proof of Concept for a HDA that Connect's to Plasticity.
It uses the plasticity-blender-addon [github.com].

Currently i have multiple problems.

I don't know how to integrate the websocket data handler into the python code so i can pass the data from HDA Python Module to the child Python SOP node.
the connection to Plasticity works it is just how i can pass the message data to the right python node.
If somebody can give me some tips it would be nice.

also for the development i wanted to reload the code but it never worked with the external python file.
used the imp and the importlib with reload(modulename) and bot didn't worked.

Attachments:
dev_plasticity.PNG (946.0 KB)
PlasticityBridge.zip (329.6 KB)

311 posts
Looks cool. Not sure about this link but maybe you find something useful here [ciesie.com].
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
636 posts
SWest
Looks cool. Not sure about this link but maybe you find something useful here [ciesie.com].

Thank you.

Have found some Inspiration in the SideFxLab's Projects. they store values in the hou.session will try that out.

A good Video on Python Development in Houdini:
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/python-scripting/ [www.sidefx.com]
311 posts
Oh, if you just want to store values you could use a subnet and add a custom parm (maybe data or dictionary). This I’ve done.

hou.session I’ve also used. Just don’t use a hierarchy, because it failed, so maybe just hou.session.my_data for example.

Another option is to use a ramdisk and throw files there.

Cheers!
Edited by SWest - Sept. 21, 2023 10:45:23
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
636 posts
It works or better at least one Message Type (ADD with SOLID) is Working more or less.

Plasticity uses Websocket and Multiple Type of Messages to Handle Add, Update, Delete of Objects(Solid,Wire,Groups,Sheet)

currently i have a small concept problem of how to build the plasticity scene structure inside python so that it will fit houdini. i would say the upcoming SOP 2.0 will have a solution that solves my problem in a elegant way.
Edited by mandrake0 - Sept. 22, 2023 08:51:20
  • Quick Links