Solaris Subdivision Level

1157   6   0
42 posts
Hello everyone

For my work, I need to have precise control over subdivision, so Solaris dicing is not an option for me. I model bottles containing several elements and I need, for example, that the glass has 3 level of subdivision, the label 2 level of subdivision etc etc.

I still work with "sop import" to import my model to solaris, but I saw that with the "scene import" there was an option, to set subdivision scheme to match object parameter.

So I tell myself that there must be an attribute or something that I could import into solaris in order to manage my level of subdivision in catmull clark...

Any ideas?
7785 posts
philippepetitpas
Hello everyone

For my work, I need to have precise control over subdivision, so Solaris dicing is not an option for me. I model bottles containing several elements and I need, for example, that the glass has 3 level of subdivision, the label 2 level of subdivision etc etc.

I still work with "sop import" to import my model to solaris, but I saw that with the "scene import" there was an option, to set subdivision scheme to match object parameter.

So I tell myself that there must be an attribute or something that I could import into solaris in order to manage my level of subdivision in catmull clark...

Any ideas?

There's no such property. Subdivision level for render time subdivision is always effectively infinite, the cutoff is controlled by the dicing level. Some old fashioned software uses discrete subdivision levels, but this has been obsolete since screenspace subdivision was created.
8568 posts
I would t say it's obsolete as it's quite handy to be able to set exact level of subdivision with instancing for example as screen space dicing doesn't sound compatible with instancing

But as said I also don't think that Karma supports discrete subd levels at this point, you may need to do a custom procedural for that, or in case of static meshes variants may be ok
Edited by tamte - Sept. 24, 2023 15:47:31
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
42 posts
tamte
I would t say it's obsolete as it's quite handy to be able to set exact level of subdivision with instancing for example as screen space dicing doesn't sound compatible with instancing

But as said I also don't think that Karma supports discrete subd levels at this point, you may need to do a custom procedural for that, or in case of static meshes variants may be ok

Thank you for your responses
A custom procedural ? What do you mean by that ?

By variant, you mean that i made a low poly and a high poly variant, and activate the i poly for the render ?
8568 posts
philippepetitpas
A custom procedural ? What do you mean by that ?
like Houdini Procedural: Hair, you can make custom procedural that applies subd for example
even though making the procedurals it's not very user friendly at this point

philippepetitpas
By variant, you mean that i made a low poly and a high poly variant, and activate the i poly for the render ?
for different viewport and render version you can use Purpose

I was referring more to the usecase with instancing where you want to have multiple explicit subd levels which you can for example use as lods

but none of this may necessarily apply to you, you may be ok with just screen space subdivision, unless you are really instancing those pieces a lot and want them to share geometry

but also those are just assumptions, in case Karma doesn't share diced geo at highest required fidelity with all instances like Mantra can, so please someone correct me if it does
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
426 posts
Karma does share diced mesh across instances whenever possible, based on the closest instance to the camera.
Support for explicit subd level will be added in the next major release of karma but not available in 19.5 and prior.
42 posts
Thank you all for your responses
  • Quick Links