Houdini takes forever to start.

943   6   2
408 posts
Anybody has any idea why Houdini takes 2 minutes to start and how to speed that up please? It's quite frustrating.

Cheers,

A.
311 posts
Maybe start from command line and read the messages. You could also post it here, especially the text before it freezes.

Cheers!
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
56 posts
Maybe something external slows the starting process down? Do you load many otls or packages?

You could copy your preferences folder to another location and see if it starts faster with an empty userfolder.

// Is your Houdini located on an SSD? If it's on an old HDD or external Server that could also be the issue.
Edited by Xue_Yue - Oct. 2, 2023 08:05:38
64 posts
Turning off windows realtime time protection helped me

Attachments:
rp.png (397.4 KB)

alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com
311 posts
For this I timed the launch. It takes about 15 sec on my good old z820 with quad SSD in performance RAID. However, I'd bet it to be faster on some NVME/M2 (PCIE) drives.
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
408 posts
Xue_Yue
Maybe something external slows the starting process down? Do you load many otls or packages?

You could copy your preferences folder to another location and see if it starts faster with an empty userfolder.

// Is your Houdini located on an SSD? If it's on an old HDD or external Server that could also be the issue.

I do have labs and mops, but i can't imagine that would slow down the process that badly. I'm rendering out stuff now, so i can't really try at the moment.

Cheers,

A.
393 posts
I do have labs and mops, but i can't imagine that would slow down the process that badly. I'm rendering out stuff now, so i can't really try at the moment.

Our experience on Windows is that Labs really do slow down the startup. Almost no impact on Linux.
  • Quick Links