Slow when saving to the network

1910   4   2
142 posts
I was looking at how fast houdini saves bgeo files from a FLIP sim on to the network and noticed that houdini uses about 1% of my gigbit network connection. If I modified my network scripts to save to a local temp drive then move the file using a python command I could get about 50% usage of my network card.
Why is houdini 50x slower saving to the network that it could be?
Showreel 2013 [vimeo.com]
408 posts
Wow, that never got an answer? :$
311 posts
Too little info
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
408 posts
WHat i can add is i'm also having some very slow auto-saving over the network. I have a laptop connected directly to my main workstation, i'm using it to render on the side, got myself a extra redshift license just for that purpose, and oh boy does it take long for houdini to auto-save the HIP file but also to save the Exr / Png sequences ove rthe network when rendering. Strangely enough i don't have any speed issues when accessing the network folder from windows explorer. So i'm wondering obviously if there is something i can do within the Houdini preferences to speed up that process. Takes longer to save out the file than it takes to render it.

Now something weird is that it loads the scenes just as fast over the same network than it does when loading is locally :$ Very confusing.

My environment is windows 10 x64 pro / H19.5.640.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Oct. 9, 2023 19:39:46
Staff
467 posts
Try setting the HOUDINI_BUFFEREDSAVE environment variable to 1 and see if that accelerates the saves.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/ref/env.html [www.sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links