How to show parameter value in Network editor?

4160   12   4
447 posts
Some nodes, e.g. Attribute Create, show the value of certain parameters in Network editor:

How does it work? Can I change which parameter it shows? Can I have my own HDA to do the same?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-01-08 043919.png (72.8 KB)

8579 posts
raincole
Can I have my own HDA to do the same?
that text shows content of descriptive parameter
in HDA you can set which parm value will show there by setting its path in Type Properties/Nodes/Descriptive Parm

for more complex info showing multiple values or custom formatting you can use hidden string parameter whose text is generated by expression as a descriptive parm
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
447 posts
tamte
raincole
Can I have my own HDA to do the same?
that text shows content of descriptive parameter
in HDA you can set which parm value will show there by setting its path in Type Properties/Nodes/Descriptive Parm

for more complex info showing multiple values or custom formatting you can use hidden string parameter whose text is generated by expression as a descriptive parm

Thank you very much! I can finally see which color space I'm converting to without digging into the subnet.
Edited by raincole - Jan. 8, 2022 12:20:48

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-01-08 043919.png (72.8 KB)
Screenshot 2022-01-09 011752.png (56.1 KB)

2042 posts
@raincole

Would you care to show the python syntax used in the Descritpive Parm field that gets it to show up on the hda node?

I've tryied doing a search and did come across a few examples that touched on the topic, but I can't seem to get it to work for myself.
4521 posts
@BabaJ: I use it in many of my OTLs. For example:

hou.phm().summary()

then in Python module:

def summary():
    this = hou.pwd()
    return this.evalParm("attributes")
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
447 posts
BabaJ
@raincole

Would you care to show the python syntax used in the Descritpive Parm field that gets it to show up on the hda node?

I've tryied doing a search and did come across a few examples that touched on the topic, but I can't seem to get it to work for myself.

Sure:

In the "Defaults" field:

ch('fromspace') + '\n' + ch('tospace')

Obviously, @animatrix_ 's method is more generic.
Edited by raincole - Jan. 9, 2022 12:03:57

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-01-10 010055.png (57.3 KB)

2042 posts
Thanks animatrix and raincole.

I haven't tried animatrix's solution yet because I was interested in what Tamte had said, so am trying to do raincoles method.

I still can't seem to get it. The first puzzle to me is your parm you used. I've circled the icon red. There is no icon like that in my drop down parm list. So I am guessing the icon changes to that once it is assigned as a descriptive parm.

That took me to Tamte's comment and I've underlined in red where from what I guess should be the reference to the node and parm that is going to be used - placed here. But I can't seem to enter anything that makes this work.

Attachments:
Descriptive Parm0.png (201.8 KB)
Descriptive Parm.png (515.3 KB)

8579 posts
BabaJ
That took me to Tamte's comment and I've underlined in red where from what I guess should be the reference to the node and parm that is going to be used - placed here. But I can't seem to enter anything that makes this work.
It's just the parm name so putting _description in there should work
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
447 posts
I still can't seem to get it. The first puzzle to me is your parm you used. I've circled the icon red. There is no icon like that in my drop down parm list. So I am guessing the icon changes to that once it is assigned as a descriptive parm.

The icon changes if you set it to invisible. It doesn't really matter tho, you can leave it visible. I set it to invisible so the Parameter panel looks cleaner.
2042 posts
Thanks guys....unfortuneately I'm still unable to get it to 'work'.

I must be missing something 'obviously'.

Screenshots of what I've tried.
Edited by BabaJ - Jan. 10, 2022 12:14:13

Attachments:
Descriptive Parm1.png (201.9 KB)

59 posts
I can't seem to get it to work either - it doesn't evaluate the expression - I see the expression and not the result. That even after I change from literal to hscript/python in the channels tab. I tried evals() too.
Edited by HristoVelev - Oct. 26, 2023 15:19:42

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-10-26 221849.jpg (321.5 KB)

2042 posts
HristoVelev
I can't seem to get it to work either - it doesn't evaluate the expression - I see the expression and not the result. That even after I change from literal to hscript/python in the channels tab.
For what I was trying, my 'problem' was that the parameter was invisible. As soon as I changed that, it worked.
59 posts
Not invisible over here though.
  • Quick Links