feather barbules polygones with uv ber parb instead of tubes

1120   6   0
193 posts
Hello Seeing i would like to recreate the barbules on the barbs with a sine wave normal or a modulo normal away from the center.
I was wondering if it is possible to render the barbs as polygons with UV coords per barb instead of tubes.

Am i missing something on how to do this or is this not implemented yet?

(ps Im confused about the term barbules, i assume that the main shaft is the shaft the shaft has barbs and the little barbs on the barb are called barbules. I get the feeling sometimes people are using these interchangeably.)
Staff
637 posts
Hi,

nothing is implemented for barbules specifically yet, but there are ways you can make them of course.

By polygins with UV coords, do you mean a strip of quads alongside each barb?

(I think we agree about the terms. Stepping down the detail hierarchy we have shaft, barbs, barbules)
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
7785 posts
KaiStavginski
Hi,

nothing is implemented for barbules specifically yet, but there are ways you can make them of course.

By polygins with UV coords, do you mean a strip of quads alongside each barb?

(I think we agree about the terms. Stepping down the detail hierarchy we have shaft, barbs, barbules)

Sounds like a job for fractals
Staff
637 posts
Indeed, something like that.

Here's a scene where I made each barb a "feather" by giving it the required attributes. So the barbs now represent barbules.

You have two outputs in the scene, one resamples the barbs so you get lots of individual barbules, one uses feather surface to generate polygon strips for barbules.

Attachments:
barbule_methods.hip (335.1 KB)

Kai Stavginski
SideFX
7785 posts
KaiStavginski
Indeed, something like that.

Here's a scene where I made each barb a "feather" by giving it the required attributes. So the barbs now represent barbules.

You have two outputs in the scene, one resamples the barbs so you get lots of individual barbules, one uses feather surface to generate polygon strips for barbules.

Is there a plan to add a 'feather bsdf' for use on polygon strips or curves that models the barbules statistically? I always found the use of anisotropic specular/translucent refraction shader to be a bit unrealistic on cards and the hair model doesn't really represent the fine barbule structure.
193 posts
So not sure if it's the same question as jsmack asked but is polygon strips for barbs with every barb using the 1st UDIM fully covered.

Anyhow, I'll just wait until u add options for barbules.
Staff
637 posts
jsmack
Is there a plan to add a 'feather bsdf' for use on polygon strips or curves that models the barbules statistically? I always found the use of anisotropic specular/translucent refraction shader to be a bit unrealistic on cards and the hair model doesn't really represent the fine barbule structure.

Not quite a plan yet, but sounds like an interesting thing to pursue. I'll discuss this internally.
Kai Stavginski
SideFX
  • Quick Links