Camera Background image Sequence not updating in H 20

1773   7   1
379 posts
While the new options for camera background images are welcome, the background image does not seem to support numbered sequences.
The frame number variable ($F8) always defaults to the current frame and removes the variable in the display settings dialogue.
This is an oversight, isn't it? Instead of making the sequences load into 128 gig RAM, not my GPU's 12 gig Vram, which I prefer to use for rendering, I now have to add yet another step to the workflow, having to convert all my sequences to video first.
I hope this gets fixed soon. And thought through.
Edited by OneBigTree - Nov. 10, 2023 16:51:28

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-11-10 223922.png (48.5 KB)
Camera Settings.png (58.5 KB)

7801 posts
Uh oh, that's no good. Did you report the bug?

Edit: in the mean time, it looks like COP references still animate.
Edited by jsmack - Nov. 10, 2023 16:52:58
379 posts
I just discovered it, not yet reported.
But there seems to me more things wrong with the viewport:
The 2D Pan and Zoom applies the Zoom or Pan wrong to the Background image, making it useless (in Solaris the Zoom works but the BG image doesn't follow panning). Also custom Wireframecolors do not seem to get applied to object wireframes.
Edited by OneBigTree - Nov. 10, 2023 21:32:36
7 posts
Same here. Viewport background sequence not working. And also COPS reference nor always working (jpg/png/exr/tga - tried all).
Instead mp4 /mov works fine, but for me is not a solution to replace image seq. with movies.
H.20 was just released, so...we have to wait I presume
Staff
467 posts
I'm not sure if I understand what the issue is here. I just tried with an EXR sequence and it worked fine after I changed the 000.exr to $F3.exr. Are you saying that the images are not updating in the viewport, or are you saying that the controls in the Video pane are disabled?

OneBigTree
The 2D Pan and Zoom applies the Zoom or Pan wrong to the Background image
This has been fixed in Houdini 20.0.528.

Just as a reminder, you'll usually get a much faster response if you submit a bug with support.
7801 posts
johnmather
I'm not sure if I understand what the issue is here. I just tried with an EXR sequence and it worked fine after I changed the 000.exr to $F3.exr. Are you saying that the images are not updating in the viewport, or are you saying that the controls in the Video pane are disabled?

The image does not update in the viewer when an image sequence is used on the camera background image (which is the only way to set the background image when looking through a camera as the option is disabled in the display settings). The value of $F is expanded the on first evaluation instead of filling the value with the raw string containing $F.
Edited by jsmack - Nov. 16, 2023 16:50:07

Attachments:
bg_image_bad_string_eval.png (999.8 KB)

7 posts
On sequence setup on camera background, if I have display options 'on' and set to 'show background image', the sequence $F from camera bg is replaces with current frame. Also, HI is replacing $HIP path with the evaluated one.
Ex: in the attachment, I set the camera bg on frame 68.
No matter file extension.
Edited by tenoztz - Nov. 17, 2023 01:31:52

Attachments:
houdini_Dg1u3NYBud.png (52.9 KB)

7801 posts
Fixed update of background image sequences in the viewer when the sequence is specified by a Camera object.

Fri. November 17, 2023

Claim fixed
  • Quick Links