Is the layout tool in H20 stable enough?

1444   9   1
138 posts
Is the layout tool in H20 stable enough?Has anyone try to use it in production?In 19.5,it's quite buggy,someone in the forum losed their work beacuse of this tool.

I'm wondering has anyone test the layout tool in H20?It's a great tool,but i'm afraid to use it in production.
124 posts
No, it‘s absolutely not stable, unfortunately.
I have and had major crashes and things sometimes bevave strange.

I hope they will improve the tool with further releases because some features would be very useful to have for environment layout.
138 posts
tomtm
No, it‘s absolutely not stable, unfortunately.
I have and had major crashes and things sometimes bevave strange.

I hope they will improve the tool with further releases because some features would be very useful to have for environment layout.

Yeah,especially when you have multiple layout nodes in one tree,it behaves very strange.What a pity!
124 posts
By the way, can you somewhere define what object you want to paint on if you import many objects from obj-level?
Staff
4438 posts
I'm sorry that you're having bad experiences with this node. Any chance you could provide steps to reproduce? Maybe some hip files that demonstrate the failures? Crash logs? There's not much for us to go on here in terms of improving things...
138 posts
mtucker
I'm sorry that you're having bad experiences with this node. Any chance you could provide steps to reproduce? Maybe some hip files that demonstrate the failures? Crash logs? There's not much for us to go on here in terms of improving things...
Just read this post,many problems still exist in H20...

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/89500/?page=1#post-388243 [www.sidefx.com]

To me,it's the two problems -
You can't have two layout LOPs with different assets in them.
The Scale brush doesn't scale inside the brush, only inside the soft radius area.
Edited by wanglifu - Nov. 23, 2023 20:44:25
138 posts
And about the place brush,you can't just scale or rotate,it's very hard to control.

Please check this post again - https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/89354/ [www.sidefx.com]
124 posts
Right, the Brush is really strange behaving too.
I guess, everybody use this tool has some unexpected behavior.
I find the concept wih the different functions cool and very useful, but it really needs improvement.

Would also be useful to select rhe surface you want to paint on.
138 posts
So many python errors when using layout tool,it's still unstable after two years development.so disappointed.
Edited by wanglifu - Nov. 27, 2023 22:16:41

Attachments:
Snipaste_2023-11-28_11-15-41.jpg (280.5 KB)

124 posts
Hi,

In latest daily build of Houdini 603, many issues has been fixed.
It works far more stable now.

Tom
  • Quick Links