Pleading for equivalent of object merge in materials VOP

1365   9   2
67 posts
Hello I'm not sure if its right place in forum for propositions of new features but please, add equivalent of "object merge" from sops to materials in solaris (And general in VOP). Scenario like in attached screen breaks my heart. Its very common during creation of procedural materials to use something from the beggining much later, it gets very ugly, very quickly

Attachments:
DISASTER.png (161.8 KB)

1 posts
This is exactly what my friend and I needed recently! Hope it will be added soon.
85 posts
I think we also need a teleport broadcaster and teleport receiver nodes like in Foundry Mari.

https://learn.foundry.com/mari/Content/reference_guide/nodes/teleport.html [learn.foundry.com]
5 posts
Yes, some kind of wireless nodes in material VOP would be a very useful feature ^^
8573 posts
sniegockiszymon
I'm not sure if its right place in forum for proposition
it is not, please submit an RFE [www.sidefx.com]
even though i bet there is already a couple for having Fetch type of node in VOP context, more never hurt especially since it's not been implemented yet

jomaro
I think we also need a teleport broadcaster and teleport receiver nodes like in Foundry Mari.
https://learn.foundry.com/mari/Content/reference_guide/nodes/teleport.html [learn.foundry.com]
that sounds unnecessarily complicated, why would you need a dedicated broadcaster node?
Houdini has plenty of good examples in many other contexts, just VOPs are missing it for some reason (Object Merge SOP, Fetch Object, Fetch CHOP, Fetch ROP, Fetch COP, Fetch TOP, Fetch LOP)
so adding Fetch VOP that would expose the same outputs as fetched node would definitely go a long way
Edited by tamte - Nov. 30, 2023 10:01:23
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7793 posts
tamte
that sounds unnecessarily complicated, why would you need a dedicated broadcaster node?
Houdini has plenty of good examples in many other contexts, just VOPs are missing it for some reason (Object Merge SOP, Fetch Object, Fetch CHOP, Fetch ROP, Fetch COP, Fetch TOP, Fetch LOP)
so adding Fetch VOP that would expose the same outputs as fetched node would definitely go a long way

How do you make a fetch node like that limit you to fetching nodes from with the same subnet though? All of those nodes can fetch from any location, but a material requires its children to be within the same context.
396 posts
Being able to split a null in two would be great in several contexts, with connections only visible when one of the two parts is selected. Second part could be duplicated as needed.
7793 posts
Tanto
Being able to split a null in two would be great in several contexts, with connections only visible when one of the two parts is selected. Second part could be duplicated as needed.

You can already hide nodes to hide a connection.
8573 posts
jsmack
How do you make a fetch node like that limit you to fetching nodes from with the same subnet though? All of those nodes can fetch from any location, but a material requires its children to be within the same context.
you don't need to fetch from the same subnet
the point is you should be able to fetch from anywhere and the underlying architecture should make sure it correctly references the fetched subnet and if needed includes it as a part of the final shader

or in solaris/usd maybe there can also be a way to reference parts of shading graph using relationships from within other shaders
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
85 posts
Believe me sometimes when you have complicated shading network you wish you have such a feature.

At the moment there is no ability to fetch information from a certain network node in Karma H20 material builder.
Edited by jomaro - Dec. 1, 2023 15:55:19
  • Quick Links