RunVex to access skel geometry?

674   7   1
264 posts
Is the RunVex apex node suitable to run vex operations on the current (being animated) skel geometry? If so, how?
Edited by guilhermecasagrandi - Dec. 5, 2023 12:38:57
208 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
Is the RunVex apex node suitable to run vex operations on the current (being animated) skel geometry? If so, how?

From what I've known so far, APEX doesn't have the concept of "currently being animated skel". You modify the skel with SetPointTransforms and other nodes, just like how you modify any other geo. You can have 1, 2, or 100 skel wired in. You can have a skel wired in but not animating it at all. When they say APEX is "All-Purpose" they literally mean it. APEX is arbitrary code.

So RunVex can operate on skel just like on other geo. However, you need to pay attention on where you put it (before or after SetPointTransforms, etc).
264 posts
kodra
guilhermecasagrandi

From what I've known so far, APEX doesn't have the concept of "currently being animated skel". You modify the skel with SetPointTransforms and other nodes, just like how you modify any other geo. You can have 1, 2, or 100 skel wired in. You can have a skel wired in but not animating it at all. When they say APEX is "All-Purpose" they literally mean it. APEX is arbitrary code.

So RunVex can operate on skel just like on other geo. However, you need to pay attention on where you put it (before or after SetPointTransforms, etc).

that's the easy part, my question lies on the vex side, since vex functions don't expect geometry, but a path to a sop node, therefore I haven't found a way to use RunVex on geometry inside apex.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to find a way to run some kind of point cloud lookup inside apex, since there isn't a node on the geo tab for that.
208 posts
To be honest I haven't used RunVex either, I just assumed it works like sop::attribvop. sop::attribvop can run vex inside apex.
264 posts
kodra
To be honest I haven't used RunVex either, I just assumed it works like sop::attribvop. sop::attribvop can run vex inside apex.
They are quite different, because a sop onde runs on geometry, but not vex code, that uses a path to a node to extract the geometry.

But as I said, what I'm trying to find is a feasible way to run some kind of point cloud lookup with apex. Any thoughts on that?
8555 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
But as I said, what I'm trying to find is a feasible way to run some kind of point cloud lookup with apex. Any thoughts on that?
And sop::attribvop doesn't work for you? It should work exactly like wrangle in sops
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
264 posts
tamte
guilhermecasagrandi
And sop::attribvop doesn't work for you? It should work exactly like wrangle in sops
Yep, but how would I build the vop code?
264 posts
tamte
guilhermecasagrandi

Your suggestion did work, thanks, since attrib vop can run a snippet code.
  • Quick Links