USD Import SOP and Materials

1102   6   1
141 posts
Hey folks,

I need to import USD file with materials and textures (USD Z)

When I check the USD file in LOPs it's fine, I have the textures and materials assigned properly. However, when I try to bring the model into SOPs, the materials are gone, and I have this message:
Found material bindings on prim at path (/textured_mesh_usdz/Meshes/node0/mesh0_prim29) but MaterialBindingAPI is not applied on the prim
Could somebody enlighten me on what can I do to have the materials in the SOP context?

Thanks in advance!
7770 posts
szmatefy
Could somebody enlighten me on what can I do to have the materials in the SOP context?

You cannot.
141 posts
That is a (negative) surprise. Then how am I supposed to work with a textured model? Like now I was given a USDZ file with the high-resolution model, and I'd like to push through my pipeline and bake it using Labs Baker tools. The final result should be also a USDZ file. But in that case, what is the recommended workflow?
Staff
4438 posts
IF you want to preserve the USD-ness of your source data, then you need to brings LOPs into your workflow. Rather than loading the USD file directly into SOPs, load the USD file into LOPs, then use SOP Modify or similar LOP nodes to tweak the USD in the SOP context. The workflow here is far from perfect, and we are looking at ways to improve it. But even now you can have a viewport pinned to /stage where the final USD output can be visualized with materials, lights, and everything else from the USD file. But in your network editor (maybe with a second viewport pointed at the SOP network) you can be doing your actual work at the SOP level.
141 posts
Thanks!

The thing is that I have couple (40ish) scanned model in USDZ format.Each model is textured, but the application the client used applied dozens of materials. So I need to bake those materials and textures into a single material (and texture)
7770 posts
szmatefy
Thanks!

The thing is that I have couple (40ish) scanned model in USDZ format.Each model is textured, but the application the client used applied dozens of materials. So I need to bake those materials and textures into a single material (and texture)

Sounds like a classic labor intensive optimization job
141 posts
Sure thing, but I'd like to streamline it as much as possible...

I managed to use wrangle and get the texture path from the USD file, and using that I could build up my shader
Edited by szmatefy - Jan. 9, 2024 13:40:41
  • Quick Links