Scene Graph Tree vs Collections, why the column difference?

593   5   1
7025 posts
Hi,

Houdini 20.0.547, Win 10, Py3.10

Curious why the Scene Graph Tree uses toggles for visibility, selectability etc, but the Collection tree uses radio buttons for same?

IMO the UX is far stronger with toggles, especially when you want to do quick on/off to compare things, for example. Also radio buttons take up more real estate. However, perhaps I'm missing some advantage of radio buttons?

Cheers,

Peter B
Edited by pbowmar - Dec. 11, 2023 19:19:26

Attachments:
radio_vs_toggles.jpg (50.1 KB)

7025 posts
Also unfortunate that there is no "Deselect" for Collections, that would be super useful, though maybe I'm missing it. Basically the "select primitives" column should be toggles too. IMO of course!
Staff
4438 posts
Hi Peter! Long time no see!

The reason for the different UI is performance. Showing toggles for the Collection API section would requires maintaining a list of every prim in every collection, and comparing that list of (possibly tens of thousands) of prims against the list of currently selected (or visible, or activated) prims so we could show the correct state of the check boxes. And we'd have to redo this calculation every time the LOP nodes recook.

Also, often we'd be in a state where some of the prims in the collection would be in state A, and some in state B, leading us to want both the "set all on" and "set all off" UI anyway - though showing the "current state" accurately is reason enough to want this UI to change IMO.

Maybe not a satisfactory reason, but you did phrase this in the form of a question
7025 posts
Hi Mark,

Indeed it was just a question Obviously it's workable, and performance seems like a good reason especially at scale as you mention.

I haven't really used Solaris "for real" until now, and my goodness it has improved radically since I last took a look at it over 3 years go. Congrats to you and the team for this becoming so powerful and easy to use!

Cheers,

Peter B
Staff
4438 posts
Thanks! It's so nice to get validation that we're heading in the right direction from someone that I know will be honest

Mark
7025 posts
Hah hah you know I'll give it to you straight. Though, I've learned the hard way that public and private honesty should be different

Seriously though, Solaris is a pleasure to use now.

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links