How to use APEX's rig::RBFInterpolation?

1157   8   1
208 posts
I was quite excited when I noticed APEX has an RBF node built-in:

However, without any document or example, I have no idea how to get it work

Another possibility is just use sop::linearsolver, but while I kinda know how to use it, it's a very generic node that requires a huge amount of parameters. And it's an SOP, so I have to pipe in the all the data as attributes first. It's a big bummer that especially we have a rig::RBFInterpolation sitting right next to us.
Edited by kodra - Dec. 7, 2023 10:34:21

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-07 232526.png (45.0 KB)

264 posts
Any help from SESI guys on this?
208 posts
guilhermecasagrandi

I actually sent an email to SideFX suppport.

Here is their reply:

> APEX is still in Beta and so the documentation is currently under development as well.

(that's it)
264 posts
kodra
guilhermecasagrandi

I actually sent an email to SideFX suppport.

Here is their reply:

> APEX is still in Beta and so the documentation is currently under development as well.

(that's it)

A simple example file from their side would help...
264 posts
I have great news: I've managed to make it work. Not so simple, though. At some point this week I'll have an example file and I'll share it here, probably by Thursday.
264 posts
Here it is. The setup needs to be rebuilt to be more streamlined, but it works well as it is.

Attachments:
RBF_solver.mp4 (3.6 MB)
RBF_solver.hiplc (376.9 KB)

208 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
Here it is. The setup needs to be rebuilt to be more streamlined, but it works well as it is.

Hooray!
8554 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
Not so simple, though
that's mostly because APEX lacks a lot of convenience functions that would make working with arrays and therefore assembling such setup a lot easier

like getting an array of attribute values from geo
multiplying array with another array per component or also scaling array components with single float
sum of an array elements

I'm not really sure what is the plan for the future, but I'm very distracted by APEX having all the signatures expanded as a separate node types
and it's lacking a lot of signatures also, I'd expect more generic functions with support for all datatypes, especially arrays
Edited by tamte - Dec. 13, 2023 01:30:15
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
216 posts
tamte
I'm not really sure what is the plan for the future, but I'm very distracted by APEX having all the signatures expanded as a separate node types
and it's lacking a lot of signatures also, I'd expect more generic functions with support for all datatypes, especially arrays

this is usually simply an UI thing, it would be the UI's job to guess the correct node type based on the connection, this will come in time! Believe it or not, but when houdini 20 was released, there wasn't even a copy/paste feature haha
Edited by Jacquesf - Dec. 13, 2023 07:31:32
Head of Pipeline @ LightVFX
  • Quick Links