Time equivalent of mountain sop in new attribute noise

1008   8   0
47 posts
Happy new year everybody,

There was a time option in old mountain sop. what is the equivalent of it in new mountain(or attribute noise 2.0) please?
4515 posts
Hi,

If you dive inside the HDA, there are time parameters but they are not exposed for granular control. So you can break the links and change the Time parameter if you just want to alter the 4th dimension:

Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
47 posts
thanks for the answer, unfortunately I could not do it.

I am trying to use the time parameter of the mountain sop to vary the shape of the deformation for each objects that are copied to scattered points and I aim to use the time parameter and change it by the iteration attribute of the foreach. I don`t know how to use your instructions for this purpose.

May I please ask for more help?
4515 posts
After breaking the parameter references as shown in my first screenshot, you can override the time parameter with an attribute on the target points to copy to like this:

Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

8554 posts
animatrix_
After breaking the parameter references as shown in my first screenshot, you can override the time parameter with an attribute on the target points to copy to like this:
you don't need to break the reference for this to work

f@time attribute (if present) will fully override the parameter value whether the parameter is controlled by expression or not
Edited by tamte - Jan. 3, 2024 06:53:55
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
4515 posts
tamte
animatrix_
you don't need to break the reference for this to work

f@time attribute (if present) will fully override the parameter value whether the parameter is controlled by expression or not

Yes but without breaking the reference, the time parameter requires the animation toggle to be turned on which will change the pattern every frame. I guess you can put a timeshift after to freeze the time.

IMO SESI should expose time by itself, not just a single animation toggle.

8554 posts
animatrix_
without breaking the reference, the time parameter requires the animation toggle to be turned on which will change the pattern every frame.
it should not change the pattern since the time parm is overriden with specific values, at least it doesn't on my end

animatrix_
IMO SESI should expose time by itself, not just a single animation toggle.
I agree that that should be an option
or at least or as well as the W component of the offset, which can be called time offset, currently its just ignored

also looking at the VOPnet it seems to me that the noise is unnecessarily evaluated 2x for animated version, propably because of lack of proper UX for if/else in VOPs
currently its more like, compute this expensive noise, but if animate is on compute another one and use that instead, unless it's somehow magically optimized away, does anyone know?
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
47 posts
Still not able to do what is being discussed here. May I please ask for a simple hip file?
4515 posts
fred_98
Still not able to do what is being discussed here. May I please ask for a simple hip file?

I made a simple example showing how to do it. Hope that helps.

Attachments:
4dnoise.hiplc (185.3 KB)

• Quick Links