Multi Parent Constraint + Hybrid Spine IK

933   6   2
219 posts
Hello There!

So follow up to my previous post : https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/93916/ [www.sidefx.com]
I'm providing an demo scene with my multi parent constraint (currently limited to 2 parent) with an autorig component to build the rig.
There is also a modified version of the Sidefx's spine component that have been very slightly altered to disable the auto-reparenting

note that the constraint use a single RunVex node because of the lack of certain required math conversion node not present in apex, I don't know what is performance impact of using runVex, but hopefully, using just a vew shouldn't destroy the rig perf too much.

There is few minor translation issues when rotating the driver, which I won't be fixing, see these example as a placeholder until sidefx provide us with some real multi parent constraint that not based on building the math out of cheer instinct

demo :
Image Not Found

Edited by Jacquesf - Jan. 20, 2024 07:54:22

Attachments:
007759_houdini_C2Y04j7q86_2024-01-18_13-59-46.mp4 (10.6 MB)
007761_houdini_JtHwMPhbhV_2024-01-18_14-14-31.png (593.3 KB)
apex_constraint_v0.2.zip (223.0 KB)

Head of Pipeline @ LightVFX
246 posts
looks great! Seems like you also are coming from Maya with AdvSkel?
Magnus Møller
Creative Director / Rigger @ Tumblehead
219 posts
Magnus_Mller
looks great! Seems like you also are coming from Maya with AdvSkel?

yes, you noticed the same spine rig controller I guess ^^
It incredibly more simple and straight forward to rig on apex than on maya (if we don't count having to create a whole constraint from scratch)
Edited by Jacquesf - Jan. 18, 2024 12:05:47
219 posts
I updated the multi constraint to 0.2 :

Fix :
the post translation issues that going in random direction if one of the driver had any rotation applied, should now behave almost exactly like the maya one.

Bug found :
Found the algorithm is broken if both driver share the same parent.

See original post attachments to get the new example scene.
Staff
63 posts
Ah this is great! I will also check out the vex snippets and see that we can add the missing math callbacks
10 posts
seeing that we can run vex in the apex graph makes me quite exciting.
should running vex inside apex still be considered optimal, performance wise? or should we notice slowdowns when using it compared to pre-existing nodes?

I have done quite a bit of rigging with kinefx in the meantime. it would be nice if I can convert my previous rig-logic work to apex rigs.
Edited by UtilitasArts - Jan. 30, 2024 14:33:11
7734 posts
Native APEX nodes will be added more over time. But if you could do it with native APEX nodes, then they should be faster in theory. Use VEX for anything else.
  • Quick Links