WIP | PlasticityBridge fo Houdini [Houdini Utility]

2810   12   7
636 posts
ABOUT
The Plasticity to Houdini Bridge has started about 2 Months ago. Target is to have the same Integration as the plasticity-blender-addon.

Because H20 was then around the corner and the rumours of APEX where around i wasn't sure how the new Technology can be used for this Project i have waited till i could understand if it makes sense to Implement APEX into this Project.
Currently i will not use APEX but i plan to use SOP verb's.

The Project is early stage it has also a problem with H20 with the Communication to Plasticity that i need to understand more.

Roadmap
  • Implement all Object Types
  • Fix small Bug
  • Make it work in H20
  • Release to Github
Edited by mandrake0 - Nov. 22, 2023 09:45:30

Attachments:
plasticityBridge.PNG (1.1 MB)

181 posts
I look forward to hearing about progress on this. Good luck with the project!
43 posts
Couldn't be more excited! Great release.

Pd:Apex is awesome I'm glad you are thinking about it as well, although I don't see how just using vex or vop wouldn't give you the same performance, apex is more about optimizing runtime.
636 posts
Current State:
* Fixed some small bugs
* Added Support for Groups

The Code looks more like spaghetti then a solid HDA/Python solution, it will take time for a Release!
but it works and it gives me more insides and understanding.

Lost today some time, objects where missing there where no wires and I haven't seen any special code that would block it. Downloaded Blender and used the plasticity Bridge and surprise it doesn't show up either. so in the Communication Lib from Blender plasticity Bridge they show up in a Enum but nothing is showing up in the data message.

Attachments:
plasticityBridge_update_24112023.PNG (879.9 KB)

22 posts
Very exciting! Been thinking about tackling this task but the websocket stuff is scary
Nice work!
636 posts
HandcraftedMedia
Very exciting! Been thinking about tackling this task but the websocket stuff is scary
Nice work!

I have taken the base from the Plasticity Bridge from Blender. A custom Implementation would have been waste of Time.
This means also the code will be released on Github with the same MIT License.

For me it was a bigger challenge to understand the concept of the Bridge and how Blender Data Structure Works.
The Integration in Houdini is less complex and I TRY also to have the same Functionality.

There is also one strange bug that makes the current code not working in H20(Python 3.10) but it works in H19.5 (Python 3.9) but in Blender(Python 3.10) it works.
636 posts
Small update.

it is still very buggy and only works in H19.5 but it is a progress.

Edited by mandrake0 - Dec. 13, 2023 07:31:34
1 posts
nice going!

what issues have you encountered running this in H 20?

ive been working on the same thing, started in 19.5 and now in 20
636 posts
LouisVass
nice going!

what issues have you encountered running this in H 20?

ive been working on the same thing, started in 19.5 and now in 20

The problem is with the Python Threading. it is the same code from the Blender Bridge. somehow it gives a Error in H20.
Need to fix some small Errors then i can release it on Github.

Attachments:
Threading_error.PNG (927.6 KB)

2 posts
Hey ! I'd love to hear about this project! Did you manage to fix what you were looking for?
636 posts
NLM
Hey ! I'd love to hear about this project! Did you manage to fix what you were looking for?

Sadly not. Thats why i also did not submitted it and release the code.
I was thinking to release the code but i am sure then many complaines would come up because the problem with H20. When i release the code i will update it here.

I have submitted another project for tge challange.
2 posts
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I'm not a developer and wouldn't really be of any help on this project, however I find it would be a very useful tool.
679 posts
Hey @mandrake0!
Do you have any updates on this tool?
I would love to have a Plasticity -> Houdini Bridge!

Cheers
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - April 19, 2024 05:33:49
  • Quick Links