Houdini functionality

494   3   0
28 posts
Hi, I have a PC, about a year old, two NVIDIA RTX A4000 video cards, 64 gigs RAM; after loading a cached file, about 2Million points, it seems to load slow, after a couple of minutes, still waiting to view the geo in Solaris; -my objective is to render a 8-10 S animation with about 8M points, so I would layer this in AE. Is my wait time unusually long,? several minutes; is there any way to speed this up,?, thank you, Craig
205 posts
It's hard to say, what's going on without an actual file. I never had these issues. It sounds way too long.

Is it the loading or the displaying that needs as long? Is the traditional OBJ context faster?
127 posts
Tried to set the purpose of the points to "render"? Does Karma load them fast?
7770 posts
skadbone1
Hi, I have a PC, about a year old, two NVIDIA RTX A4000 video cards, 64 gigs RAM; after loading a cached file, about 2Million points, it seems to load slow, after a couple of minutes, still waiting to view the geo in Solaris; -my objective is to render a 8-10 S animation with about 8M points, so I would layer this in AE. Is my wait time unusually long,? several minutes; is there any way to speed this up,?, thank you, Craig

by 2 million points do you mean 2 million instances which when imported to solaris become 2 million prims, or just a mesh with 2 million points or some point cloud/particle system? I wouldn't expect the latter two to take very long, but 2 million unique prims is going to take a very very long time to build a scene graph with. Using a point instancer as the import mode rather than native instances would prevent creating a graph of such complexity.
  • Quick Links