Gimbal Rotation order in Apex

755   9   4
5 posts
Hi. some one knows how can i change the rotation order in apex to avoid gimbal lock? i cant find it. in kinefx is easy but in apex cant find it.

thanks for your help

Attachments:
Screenshot (1).png (3.9 MB)
rotationorder.png (37.1 KB)

264 posts
xmaniac3d
Hi. some one knows how can i change the rotation order in apex to avoid gimbal lock? i cant find it. in kinefx is easy but in apex cant find it.

thanks for your help

if you enable the viewport ctrls with ctrl + G, you can set the handle to work in a gimbal mode, but I'm not sure if that answers your question.
5 posts
hi guilhermecasagrandi. thanks. yes i know but i want to change the order of axis transform order rotation, to avoid the gimbal lock.

normaly is in the transform parameters like in the picture but in apex animation mode. is not available or i cant find it.
264 posts
xmaniac3d
hi guilhermecasagrandi. thanks. yes i know but i want to change the order of axis transform order rotation, to avoid the gimbal lock.

normaly is in the transform parameters like in the picture but in apex animation mode. is not available or i cant find it.

Well, I don't see how changing that order would fix the gimbal lock, nevertheless you can set that in the Transform Object Apex nodes.
7720 posts
The benefit of the KineFX Rig Pose workflow is that the "rig" you're using is basically the Rig Pose SOP itself and it's applied just in time to modify the animation. In the APEX rigging world, you're using a persistent rig in the character, so to change the rotation order, you need to modify the controller in the rig itself. The APEX Animate SOP isn't as procedural it should be right now which makes this a bit difficult to do. It might be easier actually to extract out the separate components of an APEX character to do procedural animation modifications currently.
Edited by edward - March 8, 2024 17:15:12
236 posts
edward
The benefit of the KineFX Rig Pose workflow is that the "rig" you're using is basically the Rig Pose SOP itself and it's applied just in time to modify the animation. In the APEX rigging world, you're using a persistent rig in the character, so to change the rotation order, you need to modify the controller in the rig itself. The APEX Animate SOP isn't as procedural it should be right now which makes this a bit difficult to do. It might be easier actually to extract out the separate components of an APEX character to do procedural animation modifications currently.

In Maya when exposing the rotation order it's automatically added as an enum (list menu). I think to get that to work in apex it would require a lot more setup, and best I can think of it to map an abstract ctrl (float value) to some remap and switches. Is there a more user friendly way to set that up?
Magnus Møller
Creative Director / Rigger @ Tumblehead
236 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
xmaniac3d

Well, I don't see how changing that order would fix the gimbal lock, nevertheless you can set that in the Transform Object Apex nodes.

At least in Maya it's a very common practice to expose the rotation order on the ctrl, it does indeed fix gimbal locking - though it can differ from shot to shot what order is best depending on the pose
Magnus Møller
7720 posts
Magnus_Mller
In Maya when exposing the rotation order it's automatically added as an enum (list menu). I think to get that to work in apex it would require a lot more setup, and best I can think of it to map an abstract ctrl (float value) to some remap and switches. Is there a more user friendly way to set that up?

That's a good RFE I think to expose something on the handle for doing this if the rotation order is promoted. Please log it?
236 posts
edward
Magnus_Mller

That's a good RFE I think to expose something on the handle for doing this if the rotation order is promoted. Please log it?

Sure, logged as RFE #135800
Magnus Møller
Staff
16 posts
xmaniac3d

thanks for your help
Hi, you can have a look at the lucha and chicken example file, I have made a rord component that you can use to set the rotation order of your joints. I also explain briefly how it works it in the lucha and chicken masterclass.

you can also add xord to the setup if you want to change the transform orders.
  • Quick Links