Geo Parented to Camera: Only Updates When I Stop Moving Cam

338   2   1
1010 posts
Hi!

I'm used to parenting geos to the camera in Maya where I cant move the cam freely and the geo follows perfectly. In Houdini, it only updates the geo position when I stop moving. Is there a way around it?

-Olivier
Edited by olivierth - March 13, 2024 10:09:04

Attachments:
Houdini_parenting_geo_to_Cam_01.JPG (15.9 KB)

225 posts
Hello,
I believe I know the issue. Geo parented to camera does move when the camera is moved. Look at my gif below. As I transform the camera the geometry moves with it. The issue has to do with locking the camera to the viewport. Notice if you use the view tool the camera's transform won't get updated until mouse release. You can fix that by enabling "export view continuously". The docs say

By default, the view is exported to the camera or light when the mouse button is released. This behavior can be overridden by turning on Export View Continuously in the camera menu. This option should be used with caution as exporting the view can trigger cooking.

Hope this helps
Edited by evanrudefx - March 13, 2024 11:14:28

Attachments:
cam.gif (5.4 MB)

Thanks,

Evan
1010 posts
ARg... I was parenting spheres to the camera (for a turntable). When I check the Export View Continuously, the spheres follow as I move the camera but there's a huge lag with the geometry. Its not smooth like you. Oh well...

Thanks for the info!

-Olivier
  • Quick Links