Errrors painting skin weights (jointcapturepaint)

691   8   1
13 posts
For some reason, I cannot use the `jointcapturepaint` node tools without getting bombarded with error messages and erratic behaviors ... the error message pops up immediately after clicking the node or the handles button.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hudinfohandler.py", line 268, in onHudSetTemplate
hud.setTemplate(kwargs)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hudinfohandler.py", line 120, in setTemplate
self._hud.toolInfo().setTemplate(hud_template)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hutil\qt\data\panels.py", line 823, in setTemplate
self.resolveHotkeys()
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hutil\qt\data\panels.py", line 857, in resolveHotkeys
self._scene_viewer.hotkeyAssignments(symlist)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hou.py", line 80628, in hotkeyAssignments
return _hou.SceneViewer_hotkeyAssignments(self, hotkey_symbols)
ValueError: Invalid hotkey symbol (h.pane.gview.radial)

If you hit "OK", another one follows:
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerstate\utils.py", line 1054, in wrapper
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\viewerstate\interface.py", line 231, in onEnter
state.onEnter(kwargs)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/packages/kinefx/viewer_states\kinefx__jointcapturepaint.py", line 1306, in onEnter
self.scene_viewer.hudInfo(template=hud_template)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\houpythonportion\SceneViewer.py", line 98, in hudInfo
self._hudInfo(show=show, terminate=terminate, update_texture=update_texture, hud_state=state, hud_template=template,
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hou.py", line 81862, in _hudInfo
return _hou.SceneViewer__hudInfo(self, *args, **kwargs)
hou.OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hudinfohandler.py", line 268, in onHudSetTemplate
hud.setTemplate(kwargs)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hudinfohandler.py", line 120, in setTemplate
self._hud.toolInfo().setTemplate(hud_template)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hutil\qt\data\panels.py", line 823, in setTemplate
self.resolveHotkeys()
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hutil\qt\data\panels.py", line 857, in resolveHotkeys
self._scene_viewer.hotkeyAssignments(symlist)
File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.590/houdini/python3.10libs\hou.py", line 80628, in hotkeyAssignments
return _hou.SceneViewer_hotkeyAssignments(self, hotkey_symbols)
ValueError: Invalid hotkey symbol (h.pane.gview.radial)

Sometimes that is followed by a much simpler error message box exclaiming a Python script error.

After dismissing the error messages, the paintbrush will often show up, but it behaves wildly. It's prone to disappear and won't come back unless I hold alt and zoom in and then out (super weird). Crazy stuff also starts happening to the rig/skin:

Nothing special about the node network either ... this seems to occur with every character I've tried, every scene, even a fresh one with 3rd party models downloaded from online and directly wiring things up.

Painting weights is really difficult due to these erratic behaviors. It doesn't paint correctly. It seems to keep switching to "Smooth" operation of its own volition, and using Ctrl/Shift modifier keys doesn't have consistent behavior. Sometimes it will erase, sometimes smooth, I have no clue what's going on.

Would really appreciate some help with this. I have always hated painted skin weights and had bad experiences with it in every software. At least this has been the least bad experience, despite the crazy buggery. But still far from enjoyable or pleasant, haha. It's honestly a major game dev show-stopper :-(

Before I make an official bug report about this, I wanted to check and make sure that I am not doing something wrong or overlooking something obvious, and see if anyone knows a work-around or alternative so I can get this work done!

Regards,

Aaron
Edited by arkaen - March 17, 2024 23:02:35
"Make it exist ..."
13 posts
(EDIT: Relocating the rigpose node didn't help, same thing happened ...)

Is the problem the location/order of the `rigpose` node?

Should it be after the paint node? If so, maybe it was my fault all along :S
Edited by arkaen - March 17, 2024 23:06:40
"Make it exist ..."
7722 posts
Can you try the latest production build? If it's still reproducing there, then please log a bug with a sample hip file along with steps to reproduce using the sample hip file: https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/#/create/ [www.sidefx.com]
208 posts
I've reported this bug quite a while ago and they said it was fixed in Houdini 20.0.653.
13 posts
edward
Can you try the latest production build? If it's still reproducing there, then please log a bug with a sample hip file along with steps to reproduce using the sample hip file: https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/#/create/ [www.sidefx.com]

Yes, I will! I've found even more trouble, like it tears holes in the mesh also sometimes :S
"Make it exist ..."
13 posts
kodra
I've reported this bug quite a while ago and they said it was fixed in Houdini 20.0.653.
I'm getting it in 20.0.650 but I will try updating to latest prod build and see what happens ... fingers crossed!
"Make it exist ..."
13 posts
In .653 I reloaded the .hip scene file and this time no error message boxes and the paint brush appeared on the first try, but still got a hole cut in my character's hand and trying to smooth joint weights of finger cut even more faces out lol ... but this scene may be (and probably is) corrupted at this point so I need to retry it fresh and have to forfeit those dull hours of hard and tedious work

I'll post updates on how things go re-trying the process in the latest prod (.653)

Attachments:
HoudiniSkinPaintBug00.png (1.9 MB)

"Make it exist ..."
7722 posts
arkaen
but this scene may be (and probably is) corrupted at this point so I need to retry it fresh and have to forfeit those dull hours of hard and tedious work

This is appending a NEW Joint Capture Paint on top of your old one?
208 posts
arkaen
In .653 I reloaded the .hip scene file and this time no error message boxes and the paint brush appeared on the first try, but still got a hole cut in my character's hand and trying to smooth joint weights of finger cut even more faces out lol ... but this scene may be (and probably is) corrupted at this point so I need to retry it fresh and have to forfeit those dull hours of hard and tedious work

I'll post updates on how things go re-trying the process in the latest prod (.653)

Generally speaking when you have corrupted capture data like this you can fix it with:

1. First stash it with Stash SOP so you have no dependency
2. Capture Correct SOP
3. Transfer the corrected data back to your upstream mesh with Attribute Copy SOP

Of course it's not guaranteed.
  • Quick Links