houdini wont start past connecting to license server

32515   27   2
519 posts
KDE/Qt ugly? Hmmm….depends on your point of view i guess wink It doesn't much matter which WM/Desktopmanager you are using under linux. All work fine with Houdini (except for E17 but that's still beta, sort of). You could try Xfce4 or fluxbox. Both work well with GTK/Qt applications and use less resources. Anyway, you can install all of them and give them a shot.

About starting houdini try the patch Catlee provided and, if that doesn't work, try setting HOUDINI_ENABLE_THREADED_UI and HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI to 0.

After I upgraded my archlinux to some of the latest packages (yes J.C., people who go for the latest and greatest deserve their bugs!) I experienced the same problem splash screen keeps splashing on my screen but no houdini! Setting the variables worked. Packages that were changed are

gcc-libs-4.2.2-1
compositeproto-0.4-1
gcc-4.2.2-2
libgda-1.2.4-2
libxrandr-1.2.2-1
libxi-1.1.3-1
libxcomposite-0.4.0-1
pygobject-2.14.0-1
pygtk-2.12.0-1
libxres-1.0.3-1
inputproto-1.4.2.1-1
libxau-1.0.3-1
libx11-1.1.3-4
libxfont-1.3.1-1
xf86dgaproto-2.0.3-1
libxxf86dga-1.0.2-1
xproto-7.0.11-1
xorg-res-utils-1.0.3-2
xorg-fonts-75dpi-1.0.1-2
xkeyboard-config-1.0-1
libsigc++2.0-2.1.1-1
python-2.5.1-2

(the -n in the version number could be archlinux/distro specific)

Pagefan
4262 posts
Pagefan
KDE/Qt ugly? Hmmm….depends on your point of view i guess :wink: It doesn't much matter which WM/Desktopmanager you are using under linux. All work fine with Houdini (except for E17 but that's still beta, sort of). You could try Xfce4 or fluxbox. Both work well with GTK/Qt applications and use less resources. Anyway, you can install all of them and give them a shot.

About starting houdini: try the patch Catlee provided and, if that doesn't work, try setting HOUDINI_ENABLE_THREADED_UI and HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI to 0.

Catlee's fix is unrelated to the “hanging” issue. Also the hanging issue occurs with all the window managers I've tried (KDE, Gnome, TWM)

@Tarkus:
In your shell type the following

export HOUDINI_ENABLE_LINUX_THREADED_UI=0

Then start Houdini. It should work.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
1192 posts
Tarkus
has anyone found a fix to this issue? i really want to get setup properly with a stable distro running my VFX packages. should i install ubuntu 7.10 that came out yesterday? or should i try out fedora 7?? (wait for fedora 8?)
FYI, I have Houdini 9 running perfectly on Ubyuntu 7.10 64 bit. Befoere I had it on Ubuntu 7.04 64 bit, again with no problems.
I disabled Compiz, everything is running on common Gnome/Metacity or FluxBox.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
7 posts
thanks. gonna install Ubuntu 7.10 now.
i will keep my suse 10.3 installed and hopefully get it working sooner or later.

thanks again everyone for the helpful responses.
4262 posts
catlee
Wolfwood
catlee
I'd love to get this working, but I don't have access to a SuSE 10.2 or 10.3 machine at the moment. If somebody is feeling adventurous, could they apply the following patch to the sesinetd startup script and try it out.

Seemed to work.

Merci!

Did this fix ever make it into the baseline? Or is this a 9.1 fix only? (I ran into the problem with 9.0.773)
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
139 posts
Wolfwood
Did this fix ever make it into the baseline? Or is this a 9.1 fix only? (I ran into the problem with 9.0.773)

Give 9.0.775 (or greater) a try
519 posts
9.0.755 still needs the THREADED thingy set to 0 Catlee. So guessing we'll have to use the greater than 9.0.775.
4140 posts
I believe the fix Catlee was referring to was related to getting sesinetd starting up properly, not the threading problem. That, I fear, will be a more difficult beast to tackle.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links