evolution of houdini and the community

6040   9   3
31 posts
Hi I just wanted to give thanks to sidefx for posting so many great tutorials for houdini.

I started with houdini way back when in the 1.0 era…and I used it up until 4.1

it has been a pleasure to see the growth and the development of the software…I took a detour and learned to use maya and realflow, etc. , etc.

and I must say that the appreciation I have for the tool grew…it seems like sidefx really did a slamdunk job with the manuals and examples and it is also really nice to have the gnomon and cmi tutorials available as well…its nice…I picked a lot from the introduction dvd…(that I should have known *years* ago…LOL)…and for me craig's dvd is priceless…

and the icing on the cake is now we could actually get our own copy for 99$…

it seems that houdini has become more versatile and transformable over the years…with the ability to “mimic” other softwares…yet retain its efficiency.

I would like to suggest that you allow a level of flexibility in the ops department…in the graphic respresentation…sometimes I like how slick it is…but many time I wish there was a hotkey to make it take up less real estate on my laptop…but I realize how much care has gone into this true piece of art…kudos….

and p.s.

NEVER SELL OUT TO ANY CORPORATION!!!! NEVER LET AUTODESK OR ANYONE ELSE ACQUIRE U.

After reading on this user group for years…silently…all of you, new and old…are spectacular.

sincerely

adekoye
This is my blog on using Houdini http://urubolous.tumblr.com/ [urubolous.tumblr.com]
66 posts
Everyone sells out to everyone. Will Discreet buy Houdini. Given enough money anyone will sell out. It just might take more then others. Or Discreet will put an extreme amount of money in maya and make it just as good as Houdini. But before this even happens I think maya and 3ds max will become one program then 5 or so years a buyout might happen.
537 posts
I think the key to not letting this happen is to use the word “variable” in every tutorial or help page. It will scare the great autodesk away.
345 posts
andrewlowell
I think the key to not letting this happen is to use the word “variable” in every tutorial or help page. It will scare the great autodesk away.

or some very straightforward strcat examples:

echo `strcat(“ render -V -i ”,strcat(“ ”,strcat($step,strcat(“ ”,strcat(“-f ”,strcat($start,strcat(“ ”,strcat($EFRAME,strcat(“ ”,chs(“rop”))))))))))` >> `strcat(strcat(strcat(strcat(substr(chs(“where”),0,((strlen(chs(“where”))))),“\/”),(opname(chsop(“rop”)))),“_”),arg($x,$i-1))`.txt
12474 posts
kuba
andrewlowell

or some very straightforward strcat examples:

echo `strcat(“ render -V -i ”,strcat(“ ”,strcat($step,strcat(“ ”,strcat(“-f ”,strcat($start,strcat(“ ”,strcat($EFRAME,strcat(“ ”,chs(“rop”))))))))))` >> `strcat(strcat(strcat(strcat(substr(chs(“where”),0,((strlen(chs(“where”))))),“\/”),(opname(chsop(“rop”)))),“_”),arg($x,$i-1))`.txt

Oh my God.. hahaa.. you do know that you can use the + operator with strings, right?

echo “render -V -i ”+opname(“.”)+“.$EFRAME.” ,etc
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
2199 posts
do you even need the pluses?
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
519 posts
But Jason, Kuba wrote one hell of an intimidating line of code, err two lines of code. To bad it doesn't have any pointer calls in it but it is good enough to scare the Autodesk folks (although they do/did have lisp as scripting language in acad 12 ages ago…not sure if it is still there…os the might write some lines too now and then)
4262 posts
Actually it would be wise to edit out that expression. Otherwise Wolfram Research is likely to buy out Side Effects because they would worry that Mathematica would lose its “Most Obtuse Language” award.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
12474 posts
Heh heh.. good one..
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
519 posts
Wolfwood
Actually it would be wise to edit out that expression. Otherwise Wolfram Research is likely to buy out Side Effects because they would worry that Mathematica would lose its “Most Obtuse Language” award.

( hadn't thought of that one…
  • Quick Links