Simplifying SOP network into SOP Generator. How?

5591   3   2
436 posts
I am wondering how can I simplify a SOP network into a new SOP Generator that appears under Generators (SOP)
For example, there is no beveled box generator but I would like to create one.
The SOP network is as follows
box-polyextrude-dissolve1-dissolve2-polysplit1-…….polysplit8-dissolve3-……dissolve10

The result is a beveled box. The SOP network has 20 SOP operators with only boxSOP and polyextrude inset fields being determining factors in size of the box, its position, and radius of bevel. Everything else should really happen behind the scenes.
So what I want to do is collapse the VEX code or Python script that is generating this network into a singe SOP Generator that is called Beveled Box and has entry fields from BoxSOP plus polyextrudeSOP inset field.

Please post ONE step by step method on how to do this.

Thank you

David Rindner
66 posts
It's much like macros creation in Shake…i think you can use subnetwork, but you can't(?) pull out required controls out of this network i think.
This feature would be very good.
wbr, Mudvin
Staff
3455 posts
have you tried OTLs?
unless I'm very much mistaken this is what you're looking for.
there are a number of very good video tutorials on OTLs:
http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/houdini_video/by_topic/general/index.html [vislab.usyd.edu.au]
the one at the very bottom called “Create New Operator Type” would be the first one to wath, then check out the Houdini 6 lessons at the top.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
2 posts
You can turn the network to a subnetwork. Can't remember exacly where. You can specify parameters you want to be able to have control of in the subnet's properties window. Read up on them, very useful. You might want to check out the nice digital assets features that came out with the latest versions.

If you want just a simple macro to recreate the network from a menu item. Just select the nodes in the network you want to turn to a macro and push the “m” key. You'll get a window that will be self explanatory. Pick the category to place the new macro and save it. Now you can just press tab and find the new macro in the menu you put it in.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Quick Links