i'm on mac osX

i can't use renderman,,, why?

i have houdini master

if i choose rendermann and i make a render, nothing

there is a tutorial simple for me? i'm new user
please

thanks
4262 posts
Have you purchased Pixar's RenderMan too? If not, there are a few free ones available like Aqsis or alternative ones like 3Delight or RenderDotC.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
120 posts
no, it is not with houdini…
it'not with package?
460 posts
Renderman is not part of any software, is a standalone renderer
houdini simply offers a connection to that.

asn as woldwood said, you can use some other renderman rendereres. I like 3delight.
varomix - Founder | Educator @ Mix Training
Technical Artist @ Meta Reality Labs
1192 posts
Also, renderman output is not available in Houdini Apprentice and Apprentice HD. Did you buy the full version or Apprentice HD?

There is some documentation for rendering with renderman in the help. [sidefx.com]
Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
282 posts
Hey, supermac! Use mantra! Don't be afraid of it! PRMan is good render but mantra is the best))) :arrow: :idea:
Houdini is great! O'right?
1 posts
Wish - Don't be afraid of it! PRMan is good render but mantra is the best

Hello Wish. I just started with Houdini HD. Out of curiosity, is there any area in particular where Mantra is stronger than PRMan?
1390 posts
Diagetus
Wish - Don't be afraid of it! PRMan is good render but mantra is the best

Hello Wish. I just started with Houdini HD. Out of curiosity, is there any area in particular where Mantra is stronger than PRMan?

…besides Physically Based Rendering and Volume Rendering possible not, but if it is *as good as PRMan and it's actually free, isn't it a great recommendation?

cheers,
sy.

PS To be more verbose, ray tracing seems to be faster in Mantra, but it really doesn't matter, they both are extremely good. One thing people usually don't consider during talking about render engines is a way they are integrated into 3d package. The point is, Mantra integration into Houdini is one of the strongest point of it. With such a setup you can easily achieve things that would normally require hard coding for Maya and PRMan.
Mantra has some weakness in compare to PRman also though… Most of them have no meaning for ordinary users, unlike price/quality relation Mantra offers, which does matter.
  • Quick Links