Model: Out of the center of His World

6928   8   3
16 posts
This is my first time using Houdini 9.5 and I have one question… I've imported an image made in 3DS Max into Houdini for the purpose of rigging and testing it in GG's Torque Game Engine. After importing him, the model seems to be “out of the center of his world.” How to I align him to the center of his world if possible. Attached is a jpeg image displaying the issue. Thanks!

Attachments:
Houdini_Model_Out_The_Center_Of_His_World.JPG (45.6 KB)

119 posts
Append a transform sop to the file sop and you can either manually position him, or you can use a local variable such as $ZMAX, $ZMIN to automatically position him.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation.
16 posts
If it is not a problem, please break it down. The only 3D app that I've been working on is Milkshape 3D. I understand some things about transforming objects (through tutorials) but i feel that the mid set or the way I'm thinking is not what you're thinking. Sorry…
22 posts
press “insert” to go to the pivet mode, then move the pivet…

return to normal mode (insert again)… and zero X Y Z… than it should be centered…
16 posts
Yo! That's wassup! Nuff Said!!!! Back to work!
696 posts
Try sticking down a transform node after his geometry

Enter the following expressions into the three translate parameters

-centroid(opinput(“.”, 0), D_X)
-$YMIN
-centroid(opinput(“.”, 0), D_Z)

This should center your character on the X and Z axis, and place him so that the bottom of his geometry is level with 0 on the y axis.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
119 posts
What Allegro said.
I've never used the centroid expression before. Quite a nice trick!
77 posts
If I hadn't used the transform sop yet, and only other 3d app I'd ever used was Milkshape, Allegro's suggestion would confuse the crap out of me

Go check out all the intro to Houdini 9.5 videos over at 3DBuzz to get a little more familiarized with things. They helped me a lot.
696 posts
What frogspasm_deux said
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
  • Quick Links