Melting Objects

5649   6   1
113 posts
Hi Everybody,

I was wondering is somebody already tried, or may have an idea of how to proceed to “melt” an object . I'm not asking for a howto, but just trying to collect some ideas

Thanks in advance,

Julien
51 posts
well you could build your object with metaballs, which then can easily be ‘melted’, just an idea
51 posts
Another method: you could flatten your object in UV space, send some noise through and clip, unflatten object, now you've got some ‘melting/burning’ going on, take the burned geometry and use as softbody basis for example.
51 posts
Ok one more, you could create a melting effect with your shader rather then geometry. Check out this paper:

Jos Stam, “Flows on Surfaces of Arbitrary Topology”, In SIGGRAPH 2003 Conference Proceedings, Annual Conferences Series, July 2003

It's a good starting point.

Any body else any suggestions?
7735 posts
How does that paper help with melting an object? I would imagine that if you were to do it with shaders, it would be some sort of displacement shader at the very least?
51 posts
Edward,

I would imagine that you set the opacity based on the flow that has passed, but I haven't tried it out yet, since he just wants a few ideas.
113 posts
Thanks for the ideas ! I think I'm going to try with some displacement & soft bodies
  • Quick Links