Changing houdini ui color

9810   12   2
2 posts
how to change houdini ui color like in the link below?

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Emeek77/videos/15/ [viddler.com]
696 posts
edit->color settings->download
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
15 posts
OK… besides downloading a different color setup
is there a file to tweak all the bits of the interface.

The reason I ask is that I have an interface bug that I'm trying to work around.
I'm running the latest Apprentice on a mac and when I go to the channel editor I cannont see the animation curve, however I can see something moving over one of the dashed lines when I move a curve handle. It almost appears as if I have a black animation curve over a black background.

I would love to be able to see my curves in the channel editor.
1908 posts
UI colors can be altered by modifying the .hcs files in $HH/config. You can simply copy these files to $HOME/houdini9.5/config and modify them. This case, if you install new builds they will be still be available.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
15 posts
OK.. I started digging through the .hcs files. Primarily looking at the UIPro.hcs file. I couldn't find anything that looked like it defined the background for the channel editor. I saw a bunch of lines for the dopesheet, but that's not what I was looking for.

I'm attaching an image of what my channel editor looks like. This could simply be some lack of knowledge, as I'm new to houdini

And for reference the machine I'm on now is:
mac book pro (purchased summer 2008)
4Gb ram
2.6 GHz intel core2 duo
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB)

Attachments:
channel_examp.jpg (55.8 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
more importantly…where can we get Houdini 9.6? :wink:
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
696 posts
arctor
more importantly…where can we get Houdini 9.6? :wink:

:twisted:
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
15 posts
by that devilish <grin>, I take it that 9.6 is imminent?
710 posts
Hi quinniusmaximus, take a look at a file called AnimationColors under /houdini/config/. Like graham said it's best to just make a copy of it under your /houdini9.5/config/ folder so your settings are safe and sound when you upgrade to different builds.
15 posts
ah… just checked the first link….
now I get the joke

DaJuice-
I'll look at that a bit more diligently. I peeked at it last night, but did not see anything that I though I was looking for. And actually, in any of the other “skins” that I've loooked at, none of them have changed the background color of the channel editor.
15 posts
ok….
Correct me if I'm wrong… but on the mac these files are located at:
/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/<version#>/Resources/houdini/config
15 posts
DaJuice…
you were spot on…
I can now see my splines in the Channel Editor..
Now if only they were the pretty colors that Ive seen in some of the tutorials :wink:
15 posts
OK…
got it all sorted!
minor tweak to the AnimationColors file and then I reset all the interface settings to the defaults in the Edit>color settings>user interface.
I can now see splines and they are colored properly and so far things are working well. Previously, I had downloaded and installed one of the color “mods” (JC's Dark).
Thanks everyone for all the help, patience and suggestions.
  • Quick Links