Lic Error

9262   9   2
48 posts
I have been using Houdini with no problem. Today I started to call up Apprentice and it stated a library I am using may be considered non-commercial if I continue. However it will not let me continue. I also get a lic error asking me about my lic and if I want to install one.

Problem us it lists my valid lic and Aprr will not start.

Any suggestions? Like I say has been working fine, but I took a week or so break.
Desktop -Intel Q9550@2.83 Quad|8GB OCZ DDR3|Vista Ultimate 64 | Nvidia GTX280 (2) SLI | 1.5TB | Liquid Cooled

Laptop - Sager Intel Q9550@2.83 Quad | 4GB DDR2 | Vista Ultimate 64 | Nvidia 9800M GTX 1GB
7734 posts
Start up Houdini's License Administrator and take a look at your Installed Licenses. Make sure they're not expired. On the Server Information tab, you should see 3 green “leds”. If any of these are red, then something in your configuration is wrong. Finally, if you can't figure it out still, choose View > Diagnostic Information and post it here.
48 posts
Hey Edward,

Nope. All green lights are working and all lic are good till 01-Jan-2037. I will need to look over the DIAG information before posting. i generally never post Diag information publicly as it can contain lic ids/machine and IP numbers which is never good to post public anyway.

In looking in the diag I see nothing out of the ordinary, however my lic server does list 2 Houdini Apr HD lics. One with available as 1/1 and the other 0/0. My laptop when running Lic Admin only shows one, with a different ID than these.

FYI.. I have two lic total.

Come to think of it, I had a computer crash playing a game the other day and lost my player data. Wonder if that could be an issue as well.
Desktop -Intel Q9550@2.83 Quad|8GB OCZ DDR3|Vista Ultimate 64 | Nvidia GTX280 (2) SLI | 1.5TB | Liquid Cooled

Laptop - Sager Intel Q9550@2.83 Quad | 4GB DDR2 | Vista Ultimate 64 | Nvidia 9800M GTX 1GB
245 posts
Not sure if this is what is causing the problem, but if you launched a .hipnc file . . .

(from sidefx support)
“Loading a .hipnc file into a commercial session will taint that sessionas non-commercial and any files saved after that will be in non-commercial format.”

And if you don't have an installed apprentice license but just a commercial one it may error you out.

-markerline
48 posts
All my files are .hipnc so not sure why that would be the issue, but sounds about right. But i get errors simply opening Apprentice, not calling up a file. hate to reload.

Staff
1449 posts
the two licenses that are listed… what are the numbers in the “Available” column?
48 posts
Hey Rafal,

I may have done the wrong thing yesterday, but I returned one and tried to reinstall.

But, I may have found the problem? I installed a daily build 9.5.339 and I did not notice it did not un-install my previous version 9.5.303

I have two lic servers. The 9.5.303 shows Aprentice with 1/1 available, the new 9.5.339 shows 0/0

Could the fact both these are still on my system making it appear as though I have more lic? I can remove the old one.. I may have clicked that old Icon and that may have started the problem.

Staff
1449 posts
The fact that you have a few Houdini version on one computer should not impact the availability of licenses. In fact, it is very strange that the License Administrators from different versions show different results. My guess, then, is that one Houdini version is configured for local licensing and the other for service based (sesinetd.exe) licensing. That's the only way I can think of that could lead to such situation.

You should try reconfiguring the 9.5.339 (just edit the Licensing.opt file; You don't need to copy the licenses file, because these already should be OK.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1283&Itemid=273 [sidefx.com]

If, after that, you still have trouble with the licensing, please email the View > Diagnostic Info to apprentice@sidefx or support@sidefx

good luck!
48 posts
Bingo..

That was it. I just did not realize that each install used its own lic admin - Now I know..

Working like a champ!

Thanks for the quick replies…

Staff
1449 posts
glad to hear all is fine now.

P.S.
Yeah, each version has its own License Administrator (hkey) utility, but there is only one License Server (sesinetd) on a given machine.
  • Quick Links