Houdini won't behave -crash, no startup

7078   11   1
861 posts
I build a new computer and Houdini 9.53 is extremely unstable, to the point of being unusable. Most (but not all) crashes come with a “memory allocation” error.I tested the RAM with memtest and no errors. Other apps (XSI) are stable.

-XP SP3
-i7 920
-6Gb DDR3 1066 (6*1)
-nvidia 9600GT

I tried Ubuntu but Houdini only ran once with very slow and strange display (I cant start it again now it seems)

What to do?
--
Jobless
7734 posts
What about 9.5.303? For Ubuntu, make sure you turn off desktop effects.
861 posts
OK, I'll try that.

Is Debian a better choice than Ubuntu?
--
Jobless
4140 posts
No, it's not better. You should be able to run Houdini fine on Ubuntu, just a matter of getting things tweaked.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
861 posts
303 build seems a lot better but I still get some memory allocation crashes. Is there a log somewhere?
--
Jobless
4140 posts
Can you post the message? I assume you get this message in the shell? If not, then try starting houdini from the shell. Often crashes will give you a log in

/tmp/crashlog_<your user name>

However, I think it's a mistake to be jumping all over different OS's - it's adding too many variables. I would pick what you want it to work on and focus on that. Certainly driver version is important - you also say you're running XP - I assume you mean XP64? You have lot of memory there…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
861 posts
I'm running xp 32 and the crashes happen there (in Linux the viewport performance is terrible and all kinds of icons are missing). I'm just running the example files so I wouldn't expect them to be too heavy on the memory!

In fact, I can distinguish between 3 types of unexpected behavior on 3 machines I have tried (homebuild desktop xp + GeForce9600GT, Laptop XP pentium m + geforce Go 6200, Desktop Dell XP + GeForce7300GT

1) Repeatedly creating a new scene results in freezing (laptop and homebuild)

2) Running some dynamics example files creates memory allocation crash (both desktops but not laptop)

3) Cancelling a render results in freezing (only homebuild)
--
Jobless
861 posts
I switched of the desktop effects under Linux and now it is very stable except that there are no icons visible and rendering doesn't work at all (nothing happens).

Frankly, I think Houdini is too fussy and I don't really have time for endless bug hunting. I love it, a great soft, the best, and I would love to use it but I'll have to return back to good old trusty XSI (runs as smooth as oiled, melted butter). I'll keep checking and if there's a more stable version in the future I'll use it for a project.

:?
--
Jobless
7734 posts
Soothsayer
(in Linux the viewport performance is terrible and all kinds of icons are missing)

We've found the problem in the installer and Apprentice Licensing. It is now fixed for tomorrow's 9.5.393 build. In the mean time, the workaround is to copy and paste the following command to a shell.

sudo chown -R `stat –printf=%U:%G $HOME` $HOME/houdini9.5
66 posts
I run the 9.5.393 on Ubuntu 8.10 without a hitch.

All is good, when you have such decent service from the developers.
If this had been Autodesk, a case like this would be a process taking months.

Not to mention, Apprentice HD is a 99$ application for students/freelancers and get the same level of support as the commercially licensed versions.

I've been in touch with Autodesk regarding a problem with Maya 2009, and I still await a solution. (2 months ago). I do believe it is because I have a student license, so, it doesn't make my request worth investigating.

Well worth noting that you need to have OpenGL working, and desktop effects turned off, because it interferes with the standard Xserver.

You can verify this by running glxinfo.

cody@ZenMachine:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.8087 Release
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

“If your life is not NOW, you're already dead…”
From Chrizto's book of truths
861 posts
OK thanks I try that. I appreciate the fast response, and yes, Autodesk wouldn't do that in a million years. I'm no fan of theirs by any stretch of imagination.

But but, the fact is also that artists use software to create something, not to fiddle with the OS. In the end we need something that works. Big teams that are all on the same tools can handle this more easily. But for people like me it's an obstacle.

Anyway, I know software dev is a difficult and thankless job…I can see it at work…the guys always stay overnight and sleep on the couch or at the desk…and nobody even realizes when they fixed whatever bug they were hunting…
--
Jobless
66 posts
Well, then try installing Maya on something other than RH Enterprise Linux 4…

Then you'll be fiddling.
“If your life is not NOW, you're already dead…”
From Chrizto's book of truths
  • Quick Links