Random Extrusion - part II

8231   12   0
18 posts
Hey Magicians
Can you help me to solve this problem?

I want to create a random extrusion to my randomized cubes, but they are growing to both sides, positive and negative.

I just want the positive growth.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
random_extrude.jpg (102.0 KB)

4140 posts
abs($TZ) instead of $TZ should do it.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
18 posts
Works great!!!

One more question, please…

Why does it tends to grow in a predeterminated height pattern?

I can explain with images

Thanks J.C

Attachments:
pattern-abs_2.jpg (113.7 KB)
random_abs1.jpg (87.9 KB)

4140 posts
The random function returns some value between 0 and 1. You're using $TZ(position in Z) in there which steadily increases - so despite the random call, you're still weighting it with a steadily increasing value.

Of course it steadily descreases after zero, the abs() makes it positive again. If your goal is to make it pseudo-random, try losing the $TZ altogether.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
1631 posts
It's because you're multiplying by $TZ which increases in value from the center.

Cheers!
steven
18 posts
Hey Gurus!!!
You never let us down!

Thanks for your tips

I hope this topic helps many other newbies like me.

cheers,

Hommie

Attachments:
random_extrusion_OK.jpg (130.9 KB)

22 posts
Oi Homero,

Check out this thread over at odforce. I think it will help you with some ideas.

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=3156&hl=procedural+city [forums.odforce.net]
Andz
andzbrazil.blogspot.com [andzbrazil.blogspot.com]
18 posts
Oi Andz, tudo blz?
Gostei muito dos seus trampos.
Por acaso o que vc está desenvolvendo é baseado no famoso tutorial de procedural cities?

Esse é meu primeiro vôo no houdini. Ainda estou bem perdidão, principalmente na parte de expressões e synthax mas já baixei um monte de tutorial pra evoluir.

Trabalho com motion graphics e to procurando uma forma de fazer animações mais avançadas.
Sabe se aqui no Brazil tem algum curso decente de houdini?

Podemos trocar umas figurinhas quando quiser, blz?

homer
22 posts
Hum… just to keep this in english, here is the translation.

Hi Andz

Are you developing something based on that famous procedural city tutorial?

This is my first test with Houdini and I'm still lost. Specially in the expressions and syntax, but I'm going thru a lot of tutorials to evolve.

I work with motion graphics and am looking into a way of doing more advanced animations. Do you know of any decent Houdini course here in Brazil?

Hi Homero,

That thread is from an old experiment I was doing, still before the procedural city tutorials came out.

I'm a Houdini enthusiast but unfortunately I don't use it commercially. I should be giving it a try in production since I've been doing games for these last 3 years.

As for training, here in Brazil? :roll: I've never met a single Houdini user down here. I've herd of someone using it in São Paulo, but he wasn't even brazilian
Andz
Staff
181 posts
All the Brazilian Houdini users left the country (me!) and are working here at Side Effects :wink:
18 posts
what a shame, buddies

3D max and maya (:twisted rulez in Brazil

I'm a lightwave loyal user, resisting against the system

But now, i'm in love with houdini.

I wish i could find a good teacher or VFX School here in Sao Paulo, cos' i can't go to Canada… :roll:
2624 posts
Theres a couple of Houdini guys down your way infact in your city …..3 I believe makes a Houdini users meeting !. Pm with your details and I will pass them on

R
Gone fishing
22 posts
circusmonkey - Wow that is new to me, where are they hiding?

silvina - I wonder why :-)…

I do check the careers page at least once a month for a new mathematics opening.
Andz
  • Quick Links