Wacom and curve editing issue

4149   4   0
696 posts
Hi there, I looked for a similar issue in the forums and couldn't find it, but the wacom doesn't seem to work properly when adding points to curves. If I shift+click the curve to add a point, as it should be, it starts drawing a new curve. If I do the same thing with a mouse it adds the point as explained everywhere else in the documentations. The drivers don't allow to configure the pen tip behavior, but since the wacom works well with all my other software packages I assume is something on how Houdini understands the input… nothing personal, I'm loving it so far!

BTW, I tried with a Bamboo and an Intuos3, both the 9.5.241 and the 9.5.379 of the houdini apprentice.

Thanks a lot!

Rafael
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
311 posts
I have had similar problems with my Wacom. As you say it's the way the tablet is configured. I'd always have my mouse on stand-by or moments like these.
696 posts
That was my first thought as well, but I come from learning Maya a long way and can't get around the idea of not using my tablet. At the same time I never had this happen with any other software and having all these input devices on my desk all the time “just in case” sounds non-sense… I'm just wondering if this is a Houdini bug or a Wacom bug, can anybody tell me?!

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
311 posts
I don't think it's a bug in either of them to be fair, just an unhappy combination of how they work together.

Houdini expects you to click to select a point before curve editing. It IS possible to do this with the Wacom, it just tends to be very tricky. I think it has some thing to do with the fact that the pen is VERY sensitive to movement and therefore very difficult to do a static selection click on a point. The pen will always be moving, even when you click, just a small amount.

It may be possible to improve this by changing the pen sensitivity, but that will change the whole pen feel.
710 posts
Last time I tried an Intuos3 I couldn't get the pressure sensitivity (varying brush size/opacity) in the paint tools working. This was one of the recent 9.5 builds on 32-bit linux. The tablet was setup correctly, as it worked fine in GIMP.
Can someone verify?
  • Quick Links