Houdini for starter

13007   13   2
4 posts
Hi everybody.
I'm not new about 3D exactly , i've used C4D for 2 years.
But it was just about architecture visualization.
But now i want to do something bigger , just like visual effects and high poly modeling.
But not sure about the right app.
Cinema 4D is pretty good for arch vis. or motion graphics but it's not enought about particle system , anyway
Actually i don't know too much thing about houdini . Just looked to main page and looks like i missed something till this time.
It looks pretty common for movie industry.
And that's exactly what i want to do
There is two section in front of me ; maya and houdini.
Don't know which one is better , and won't ask that , cause that's pretty subjective matter.Don't want to do vs.
But just want to learn what's good on houdini , what's the powerful differences from other 3d packages.

There is a lot of tutorials i have for maya but there is somethings magnetize me about houdini , and looks like it's the right choose.But i really unknowing about it.

If you suggest the houdini to choose major 3D app. to learn what you show as reason ?
Staff
3455 posts
the best advice for you in this situation is to download the Apprentice Edition
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&task=apprentice&Itemid=89&Itemid=277 [sidefx.com]

and go through the included tutorials and these ones:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=14&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]

start with the very very basics and get used to how Houdini works…
then do the same with Maya (see the autodesk site)

it's time well spent and it will give you a good feel for both applicatons, then you can pick one to get into more advanced things…

hope that helps.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
243 posts
There's no easy answer to this, because it really depends of what you want to get from your software. I mean, to me, Houdini would be the best of choices, I simply love the software and would like to use it all the time, but the truth is, I don't have it at my work…

I have to use Maya and XSI instead on a daily basis. So, it's a really good thing I learned them, because I could get work easily knowing those softwares. Those softwares can actually get you really far in term of 3D graphics and are also used for film fx as well. They might also be a bit easier to grasp if you come from Cinema 4D, probably more similar to it…

Now, why would you choose Houdini than? So people could argue on this, but ultimatly, it gives you more power and flexibility than any other 3d packages right out of the box. It gots a solid render engine that handles really well displacements maps, motion blur, high poly counts..etc, the procedural way of working is so smart and fun to use, and it got some good FX and animation tools.

Only thing I would say, if you don't want to write expressions and play with maths, stay away from Houdini…but anyways if you want to do highend3d and killer FX, you have to be willing to write expressions and do maths in any softwares…

So, as a simple personal choice I would go for Houdini all the way. But saddly, as a professionnal choice, to get jobs…it's harder to answer, Maya might be good choice too…and I might be wrong on this, but it's my feeling about the industry.

Bottom line, like Arctor suggest, the best way is to actually try the software and chosse what you prefer.

I hope this will help you! good luck!
JR Gauthier
Character Animation & Design
www.turboatomic.com
http://www.vimeo.com/user2847970 [vimeo.com]
4 posts
jrgauthier
There's no easy answer to this, because it really depends of what you want to get from your software. I mean, to me, Houdini would be the best of choices, I simply love the software and would like to use it all the time, but the truth is, I don't have it at my work…

I have to use Maya and XSI instead on a daily basis. So, it's a really good thing I learned them, because I could get work easily knowing those softwares. Those softwares can actually get you really far in term of 3D graphics and are also used for film fx as well. They might also be a bit easier to grasp if you come from Cinema 4D, probably more similar to it…

Now, why would you choose Houdini than? So people could argue on this, but ultimatly, it gives you more power and flexibility than any other 3d packages right out of the box. It gots a solid render engine that handles really well displacements maps, motion blur, high poly counts..etc, the procedural way of working is so smart and fun to use, and it got some good FX and animation tools.

Only thing I would say, if you don't want to write expressions and play with maths, stay away from Houdini…but anyways if you want to do highend3d and killer FX, you have to be willing to write expressions and do maths in any softwares…

So, as a simple personal choice I would go for Houdini all the way. But saddly, as a professionnal choice, to get jobs…it's harder to answer, Maya might be good choice too…and I might be wrong on this, but it's my feeling about the industry.

Bottom line, like Arctor suggest, the best way is to actually try the software and chosse what you prefer.

I hope this will help you! good luck!

Thanks for this explanatory answer.
You talked about math . I wonder what kind math knowledge need to use it effective.
I know a lot of thing about math and really want to use it actively.

By the way is there any way to change the viewport controls just like maya ?
I mean i want to set the pan , zoom and move functions as alt+mouse left-bottom-right click
243 posts
I wonder what kind math knowledge need to use it effective
For what I do, it's principally very basic trigonometry(because of my basic knowledge…I try to learn more!)

Sorry don't know if that can be done
JR Gauthier
www.turboatomic.com
4 posts
jrgauthier
I wonder what kind math knowledge need to use it effective
For what I do, it's principally very basic trigonometry(because of my basic knowledge…I try to learn more!)

Sorry don't know if that can be done

Hmm , there is no problem about trigonometry by myside.
Can you show me an example where did you used the trigonometry
243 posts

Let's say you got, wheel rolling on a surface, and you want that wheel to roll automatically on the surface and stuff like that. Or like pluging a sinus expression into Y point position to make a simple wave deformer…nothing really fancy.(I'm sure it could get fancier).

You should have a look at some 3dbuzz tutorial to see what I mean, it's not just about math, but also about building network and connecting nodes attributes together using expression so it remains procedural and non-destructive.

The bridge asset tutorial and the elevator tutorials on 3d buzz are a good exemple of what can be done in Houdini that cannot be done in any other 3d software(that easily I guess):
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_video.php?v=1012 [3dbuzz.com]

Yep, that's a good starting point..There are other more basic tutorials on the web site that can be worth watching!

JR Gauthier
www.turboatomic.com
696 posts
jrgauthier
like pluging a sinus expression

The worst is when your sinus expression gets unplugged, and is runny for a few days. :twisted:
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
4 posts
jrgauthier

Let's say you got, wheel rolling on a surface, and you want that wheel to roll automatically on the surface and stuff like that. Or like pluging a sinus expression into Y point position to make a simple wave deformer…nothing really fancy.(I'm sure it could get fancier).

You should have a look at some 3dbuzz tutorial to see what I mean, it's not just about math, but also about building network and connecting nodes attributes together using expression so it remains procedural and non-destructive.

The bridge asset tutorial and the elevator tutorials on 3d buzz are a good exemple of what can be done in Houdini that cannot be done in any other 3d software(that easily I guess):
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_video.php?v=1012 [3dbuzz.com]

Yep, that's a good starting point..There are other more basic tutorials on the web site that can be worth watching!

Thanks for link but guess there is a problem on the player or my browser cause i couldn't get the video it looks like loading but there is nothing.
It's same for every video on the 3D buzz.
243 posts
Well, you should really try to solve that problem, because 3dbuzz video are definetly worth watching!
JR Gauthier
www.turboatomic.com
460 posts
I think seeing those videos, the bridge asset and elevator asset from 3dbuzz, even if you don't follow them, is a very nice way to get the feel of how houdini works.

For your player issue, you might need to upgrade your flash player
varomix - Founder | Educator @ Mix Training
Technical Artist @ Meta Reality Labs
6 posts
The usual progression is Lightwave or MAX, then Maya or Soft, then Houdini.

Houdini is tough at first, but the quality at render time is worth it. Maya is great for character stuff, but there are many effects I wouldn't even attempt with it. When there's allot money on a deadline it's nice to have procedural nodes to fall back on.

If you just want to model stuff, maybe take a look at Z Brush or Mudbox.
James Beylik
8 posts
jamesbeylik@yahoo.com
The usual progression is Lightwave or MAX, then Maya or Soft, then Houdini.

guess I am “evolving” along the right path then
33 posts
zoom
i've used C4D for 2 years…
welcome on board
I use both, Cinema 4D and Houdini, for Character rigging and animation and rendering, modeling, bodypaint, MG use better Cinema 4D.
Cinema 4D's Rigging and animation tools + NLA (Non-Linear Animation) is for me the best on the market, but for Particles and dynamics use better Houdini, because houdini is the best on the market…
you can find some small tutorials and files for houdini on my blog!

havefun
My web:
www.anim3d.de.tl
www.anim3d.blogspot.com
  • Quick Links